Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RESinNC  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:54:23 PM(UTC)
RESinNC

Groups: Registered

This has probably been answered many times here, but there are so many threads to sift through... I apologize if it's a repeat.

I have a Whirlpool washer and I'm having spin cycle problems. The machine agitates fine, but with large loads, it doesn't spin. It will spin ok with a small load. It spins, but starts very slowly with a medium size load.

The motor seems to be running fine in all cases. The lid switch is working fine. I do seem to have a little dead spot on the timer, but that's not in the neighborhood of where the spin cycle starts. The water will drain, so I don't think I have an issue there.

I'm no expert in washer repair, but this sounds like the symptoms of a clutch slipping. Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 5:33:47 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The clutch is the first place to start. Remove the transmission and do the test described in the sticky at the start of this section about brakes and direct drive washers.

Let us know how it turns out, and if it is not the clutch we will see what else we can come up with.
RESinNC  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 5:34:54 PM(UTC)
RESinNC

Ok, I checked the coupling. It's worn, but not broken. I'll replace that just for fun since I have it torn apart, but I don't think it's the problem. The clutch doesn't look excessively worn, no oil, very small amount of dust inside. The brake shoes don't seem to be hanging either. They seem to disengage completely when turning the cam.

So, I guess I'm not seeing anything obvious. One thing i did note is that the pump is a little hard to turn. The water drains though.

Any ideas? Could it be the clutch if I'm not seeing anything obvious there?
RESinNC  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 5:50:43 PM(UTC)
RESinNC

Ok, let me add another bit of information. Holding the outside of the clutch housing, I can twist the lining inside the housing a bit if I twist reasonably hard. Should I be able to move this by hand at all?

Again on the pump - is it normally a little hard to turn it?

I really appreaciate any help anyone can offer!!
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:37:56 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, thanks for the new information.

Possibility 1: The pump is partially jammed and this is slowing the motor so that it cannot turn fast enough to spin clothes with a heavy load. The test would be to put it back together with the pump off, and a heavy load and see if the problem is solved. If so, replace the pump.

Possibility 2: If the pump is not hindering the motor, and the motor is turning ok and the transmission is working and the brakes are not dragging then it has to be the clutch. In this case a new clutch kit should fix you up.

One final check you might make is the drive block but it does not seem likely.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Good luck!
RESinNC  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:40:40 PM(UTC)
RESinNC

I went ahead and ordered a new clutch assembly and coupling. I'm most suspicious of the clutch, I guess, so I figure I'll go ahead and replace it while I have the whole thing torn apart. Time to replace the coupling before it fails, too. If I'm still having issues, I'll try the pump next. That's easy enough to replace without a major tear down.

I took a look at the drive block and it looks good.

I'll let you know how I made out in a couple days. Thanks for the advice!
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:55:29 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds like the right thing to do, let us know what happens
RESinNC  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:56:29 PM(UTC)
RESinNC

Everything is back together with no problems - no floods, no flames. I ran a couple heavy loads and it spins like new!
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 5:02:55 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, thanks for updating us.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply