Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bkbk  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 9:07:21 AM(UTC)
bkbk

Groups: Registered

The washer works properly when set for a small or medium load. With a large load, it doesn't agitate but it fills and drains OK (not sure about the spin cycle). The transmission was replaced several years ago. Thanks for any advice you can give for DIY.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 9:48:06 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Open the front panel and check if the clutch turning, motor running in both agitate and the spin.

Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and 04-Suspension Pump & Drive Components parts for GE VBXR1060V1WW - AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon.
bkbk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:29:14 AM(UTC)
bkbk

Simon,

I opened the front panel, set the load size to large, and started the washer with no clothing in it. The washer filled, agitated, drained, and spun, then I turned it off. So I guess the motor and clutch are OK (assuming the clutch is the part between the motor and drive belt). Was the agitation problem from overfilling and putting too much weight in the tub?

The only problem I noticed was that when water was in the tub, there was a constant drip coming from where the transmission shaft enters the tub through what looks like a rubber ring. Is there is a simple solution to that? If not, we could live with it.

Thx.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:49:57 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

There is a chance that the clutch is slipping with the heavier load.
Replacing the tub seal should stop the dripping. It's a time consuming job.

Simon.
bkbk  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 6:58:16 AM(UTC)
bkbk

Hi, I'm back after doing a large load of laundry and making sure the washer was not overloaded. There were problems. Wash cycle: the center agitator moved back and forth slowly, the tub as a whole didn't agitate, and the fan belt varied in speed. Spin cycle: the fan belt moved slowly even though the disk above it (between the belt and the motor -- is that the clutch?) was spinning quickly.

Can you suggest a fix? The washer seems to work OK with a small or medium load and when there was no clothing in the large load.

Thanks.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 9:40:13 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Sounds like you have a bad clutch there.

Part number: AP2045377
Part number: AP2045377

Post the results.

Simon.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 10:26:57 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bkbk Go to Quoted Post
Spin cycle: the fan belt moved slowly even though the disk above it (between the belt and the motor -- is that the clutch?) was spinning quickly.

The "disk" that the belt goes around is the pulley. The clutch is inside the pulley. If the pulley is spinning quickly but the belt is not, then the belt is slipping, not the clutch. You may just need a new belt, that's an older washer. As for the agitator, I would pull it and remove the agitator coupler to inspect the internal splines that mate with the agitator shaft splines. They may be stripping out in which case, you would need a new agitator coupler. The agitator just pops off. Place a strap under it and yank straight up on it. Remove the bolt to remove the coupler.

Although it's a big job, I would replace the tub seal. Water leaking there can follow down the transmission housing into the lower transmission spin bearing and ruin it.

Eric
bkbk  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:31:52 AM(UTC)
bkbk

We've been making do with the washer by just using it with medium loads, but that's starting to have problems with agitating and spinning too. The drive belt does have a lot of give. Is there a way to tighten the belt (for example by moving the motor a bit) or does it have to be replaced?

I also plan to replace the tub seal. Do you carry the wrench for removing the tub nut?

Thanks for all the help. -bk
aggiesfanatic03  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 7:58:21 AM(UTC)
aggiesfanatic03

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint washer (model # VBXR1090DBWW) that does not aggitate regardless of load size.

It has been in storage for a year and a half and worked perfectly before. I am assuming by other posts that it could be the clutch (the belt looks brand new)

Can you explain how to replace the clutch and offer any other troubleshooting possibilities?
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 11:49:54 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bkbk Go to Quoted Post
The drive belt does have a lot of give. Is there a way to tighten the belt (for example by moving the motor a bit) or does it have to be replaced?

I also plan to replace the tub seal. Do you carry the wrench for removing the tub nut?

I would suggest replacing the belt. You can tighten the one you have by loosening the four motor nuts and pull the motor forward and re-tighten the nuts. Don't overtighten, bad for motor bearings. Here is the spanner wrench for the tub nut.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply