Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:37:34 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As I said before, you will need a portable scope to verify the motherboard is puting out a square wave. BUT, without a correct and complete test proceedure for the motor and motherboard,you run the risk of burning out both of them.
If you want to just replace the motor, don't complain to us if it or the motherboard burns out.
freddyrick  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:32:54 AM(UTC)
freddyrick

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
As I said before, you will need a portable scope to verify the motherboard is puting out a square wave. BUT, without a correct and complete test proceedure for the motor and motherboard,you run the risk of burning out both of them.
If you want to just replace the motor, don't complain to us if it or the motherboard burns out.

No one is going to blame you, I was only trying to learn of a test procedure for the motherboard. I appreciate the help you have offered, thank you.
trixkit  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 2:57:30 PM(UTC)
trixkit

Richappy,

I started another thread,but happened upon this and I think you have descibed my issue.

I had a power surge and fried the mother/main control board, it was blackened from smoke and the fridge was dead. I replaced the main board, but didn't realize that the power surge also cooked the evaporator fan motor. The fan motor was visibly scorched and had a short.

I replaced the fan motor, but not until after I installed the new main computer/motherboard and ran with it for 24 hours.

So, now everything works, except the fan motor, it's only reading 12 volts at the connector. I tested the NEW fan directly and it works fine.

Did I fry the motherboard/main computer by installing it with the bad fan motor? If I did, is it common for everything to work, except the fan? Seems like certain functions of the main board are working fine.

Oh and I tested the thermistors, they are fine.

Thanks
Great post
John
richappy  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:15:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your new board is bad, must get below 12 volts and be a square wave, motor will not run without a square wave
trixkit  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 6:00:42 PM(UTC)
trixkit

Thanks! That was it, replaced the board and all is good!

John
richappy  
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:50:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

Glad to hear that.
freddyrick  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:48:14 AM(UTC)
freddyrick

Here's a new problem. I replaced the motherboard and fan motor. Everything worked well for over a month. Then it started getting warmer. So I found the evaporator coil all frosted up. I defrosted in with a blow dryer, and now things seem OK again. Any ideas what might have caused the coil to frost up? Thanks.
richappy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:06:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Most probable problem is the defrost heater, just check, if a single coil and black inside with a open gap, it's bad.
czechaman  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 11:18:34 AM(UTC)
czechaman

Story is:
I have never cleaned it and ridiculous as it sounds didn’t realize that its normal to clean the coils.
I took it all apart and the coils inside it were frozen. Cleaned the coils underneath of debris and dust and used a hairdryer to defrost frozen coils.

Not sure if that was the issue but after research saw that it might be one of 5 things that could be making the freezer not work. After cleaning and taking apart panels inside and back, and plugging back inpower, I saw that smoke was streaming out of the circuit board like a burnt computer..
I remembered a weird smell then the night before. Looks like I could have had a house fire had I not investigated when I did.
I saw there used to be a recall on my fridge that has expired but GE sent me a new motherboard for 40 dollars instead of higher price.

Now researching here I see that I need to get the evaporator fan or else my new board will burn like old one? My fridge is a PSS26mgpc bb , GE Profile. Should I get the fan as it seems like i have to do so? A tech is coming tomorrow and I don't have time to order the part through the site. Is there a place in South Houston I could buy the motor for the evaporator fan? Thanks!!
richappy  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:22:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

If the evaporator fan motor never failed and is still working, you probably will not need to replace the motor, but I would still replace it to protect the board.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply