Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
69GTFB  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:57:57 AM(UTC)
69GTFB

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Here is a summary of what I've come across :

- Stovetop burners are working fine.
- Setting the temperature and heating method (ie. bake/convection/broil) does not ignite the gas. The igniter is heard but no results.
- The oven fans are on and are circulating.
- The gas is on and drawn out by the fans.
- Removing the bottom cover and flame spreader that covers the burners shows that everything is clean and unobstructed.
- Manually lighting the burners will ignite them and the flame is consistent throughout.
- Placing the flame spreader cover back over the burners immediately extinguishes them.
- Attempting to ignite the oven using the controls but with the flame cover off will not ignite it.

Of course our extended warranty just ran out a couple of months ago.

Can someone tell me what the problem is, the location and appropriate parts number(s) to fix this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:55:58 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

The model number you posted does not come up. Please verify and repost it.

Gene.
69GTFB  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:11:30 PM(UTC)
69GTFB

Hello Gene,

Thanks for looking into this but yes that is the correct model # for the Thermador Pro Grand 30" gas unit. This model was later replaced by the PRG304US if that helps at all.

Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:54:47 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hello,

Per the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Thermador PRG304US - AppliancePartsPros.com in this oven are one Bake burner and one Broil burner. Both burners have separate glow bar flat igniters (#14 & #31 at the diagram). Both igniters are absolutely silent by design, so my first question is: how could you hear them?
Quote:
...The igniter is heard...

The second question is: Can you see Bake or Broil igniter glowing when you choose Bake or Broil?

Gene.

69GTFB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:26:19 PM(UTC)
69GTFB

Sorry, please ignore 'the igniter is heard'; should have read Oven/Heat lights on - cut and pasted a previous revision.

The PG304BS doesn't use the same igniters as the PRG304US, it uses a spark electrode. Having a look at it again, I cannot see a spark being generated. Should it be visible? However as mentioned earlier, manually igniting it works until the flame spreader cover is installed on top, at which point all of the flames are extinguished

While these 2 models may be different, I was hoping that by applying the same troubleshooting steps one might be able to basically pin-point the problem area. Perhaps this won't work in this case? Thanks.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:31:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Unfortunately they are absolutely different and the troubleshooting should be different too. I could not find any information for the PG304 model and not able to provide any instructions for you.

A spark should be pretty visible and if you don't see it then the problem can be a bad wires, a bad ignition switch or a bad spark module. This is the only what I can tell you without more technical information.

Gene.
69GTFB  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:34:36 AM(UTC)
69GTFB

Thanks again for all your time.
69GTFB  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:02:19 AM(UTC)
69GTFB

Hello again,

After digging a bit more, I found that the actual model # is PG304BS/12. While your site claims to carry parts for it, they are not online.

With that bit of additional information, would you now be able to determine where the problem may lie?

Thank you.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 2:25:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

I found the parts list but could not find the electrical schematic, so my instructions are not going to be very sharp.

The ignition system for the Bake consists of two parts: the igniter at the burner and the gas liter module which can be inside the control panel, in the burner box or on the back of the range. I would suspect the gas liter module. Also it is a good idea to check the wire between the Bake igniter and the gas liter module.

- The gas liter module Part number: 618624
Part number: 618624

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Parts_58300000103847D_PG304BS_12.pdf (401kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
69GTFB  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:06:26 PM(UTC)
69GTFB

I will order this part from you guys but have one further question :

While replacing this will most likely resolve the oven lighter issue for both the broil and bake functions, does this module tie in to the fact that after I manually light the bake igniter, the burner flames are extinguished almost immediately after placing the flame spreader cover back on or is there another component involved? When I ignite the oven burners without the placing the flame cover back on, the burner flames routinely extinguish within 25 - 30 seconds of being lit and the gas flow automatically shuts off.

Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply