Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
donlamb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:05:33 PM(UTC)
donlamb

Groups: Registered

The "Normal" light is flashing. As a result the unit will not run thru a normal cycle - it may run for a while but when the lights starts flashing it stops. I have run thru the "Heated Dry-Normal-Heated Dry-Normal" reset process with varying control panel responses - sometimes, upon completion, the "Cancel/Drain" light will come on and unit runs for a short time (presumably draining any water left in the bottom; other times, upon completion, the unit will light up like a christmas tree with all the lights coming on for a short time and then all turning off for a few minutes and then "Normal" light will commence to blink again; other times other lights may come on and then go off only to have Normal light flashing again after short delay - in all cases, however, I can normally go thru the process whereupon the Normal light is off for a while. I have also tried "Normal-Pots/Pans-Normal-Pots/Pans" with same results (eventually Normal will flash again). I have also tried running thru the cycle and then opening and closing the door at the end - same results. I'm stymied - I initially thought, after all the lights came on that the reset process must have worked but eventually light started flashing again. One other avenue I have questioned is a defective/stuck door latch. In looking at the assembly from the outside (I don't know how to open up the latch area) and it seems that the latch may not be fully engaged when the door is closed - it seems to feel closed but I'm not sure about the latch mechanism.

I read that there is a tech guide that spells out diagnostic checks under the front panel of the unit but I can't see how to access it.

I'm at a point now wondering 1) the control panel is defective, 2) could it be the latch, and 3), if any of these, how do I open up the back and get to the panel - in that the control panel area doesn't have its own access, the only way I can see is to remove all the screws on the back of the door.

One more thing, I also read that the "ribbon cable"ay need cleaning. If so, is this something that I should be able to do (not being a technician) w/o too much trouble?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:07:23 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Most likely it's a bad control panel. Please provide the complete model number of the unit.
The tech sheet could be found behind the toe panel.

Simon.
donlamb  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:54:48 PM(UTC)
donlamb

Complete model number DU1145XTPQ7 (lsuffix designates that it's the white unit)
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:54:10 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

If your dishwasher is white than this is the control panel

Part number: 3385735
Part number: 3385735

For the black one use this Part number: W10142945
Part number: W10142945

To replace it remove the screws from the inner door.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Door and Latch parts for Whirlpool DU1145XTPQ7 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.
donlamb  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:20:06 AM(UTC)
donlamb

Is replacing the control panel a challenging/difficult procedure?
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:13:41 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Not at all.
Don't forget to unplug the dishwasher.If I'm not mistaken you'll need the torx screwdriver.

Simon.
donlamb  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:52:19 PM(UTC)
donlamb

I assume that it would be OK to trip the circuit breaker as an alternative to unplugging the unit, right. What is the connection between the control panel and dishwasher itself?
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:01:39 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Yes, turn the breaker off.
the connection is a flex ribbon, unplugs from the control board.
When you open the panel it will be very clear.

Simon.
donlamb  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 10:36:45 AM(UTC)
donlamb

Simon - Curious as to your rationale for pin-pointing the flashing "Normal" problem as most likely being in the control panel not the control circuit board. Is there any simple check I could do to verify this?
Don
Simon / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 4:51:11 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hello.

Open the kick panel and locate the tech sheet. Use it for testing the control panel.
My rationale is based on the experience. The good thing is if you get parts from APP you may return them for full refund, no questions asked.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply