Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Carrie Koplinka-Loehr  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 7:05:31 AM(UTC)
Carrie Koplinka-Loehr

Groups: Registered

Hi. I just received the control temp (part AP2585576) for our chest freezer and am wondering how to REMOVE the old aluminum wire (also called a capillary tube maybe?) that threads through a red plastic cap at the top of the box and goes into the freezer to detect the inner temp.

Do I pull hard on the wire with a pair of pliers? Or does something unscrew?

When replacing with the new aluminum wire, do I simply push it up into the red cap again and hope for the best?

Your speedy reply is appreciated; my freezer is unplugged and waiting for me to act.

Thansk you,
Carrie
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 7:13:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is a tin plated copper tube, just pull on it with needle nose pliers, it will come out. To put the new one in, just coat it with vasaleen and push it in as far as the old one was. Hope you got the factory replacement part and not a generic one.
Carrie Koplinka-Loehr  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 7:35:29 AM(UTC)
Carrie Koplinka-Loehr

Groups: Registered

Thanks, Richappy. I'll try your advice, and appreciate it. I ordered the part for this Kelvinator from AppliancePartsPros and it looks the same as the old....so I'm not sure if it's "generic" or not. What are the risks of generic, if it is? (It was about $100).
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:31:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your new control must have the identical cut-in, cut-out temperatures as the old one or you will have trouble getting the right temperatures in freezer.
For example, the cut-off temperature may be say -10 degrees for your freezer so the new control should be near that. If not, at the warmest setting, your freezer may never shut off!!
Only way to check is to ask the supplier. My McCombs catalog shows cut-in cut-out temperatures for common controls, but maybe not for yours.
If your old control seemed ok but never turned off the compressor, your original problem may be your refrigeration system and not your control!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply