Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jordanm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:12:14 AM(UTC)
jordanm

Groups: Registered

Hey guys, I have a GE top load washer that has a very loud banging noise during the spin cyle. Aside from the noise it functions properly. The washer is level, and it does not move around when it makes the noise. The drum seems to be centered and not drooping on one side, so from reading I do not think it is the suspension rods. When I move the drum around it is heavy and I can hear the water swooshing, so I do not suspect the Balance Ring either. When I stand facing the washer I get good resistance when moving the tub forward and backward, but it seems to move easily left to right and I can easily get the drum to hit the sides of the machine.

I have not had this thing apart yet. What do I need to inspect with the cover off to diagnose the issue? Or do you guys tell what it is already?

This is the parts breakdown.
Suspension, Pump & Drive Components parts for GE WBSE3120B2WW - AppliancePartsPros.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:43:20 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Check for broken tub dampening straps at the top of the tub. You can either feel for them from under the lid, over top of the tub, one in each corner or take the front panel off where you can see them from below. If broken, you have to remove the top panel to replace them.

Eric
jordanm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:25:35 AM(UTC)
jordanm

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Check for broken tub dampening straps at the top of the tub. You can either feel for them from under the lid, over top of the tub, one in each corner or take the front panel off where you can see them from below. If broken, you have to remove the top panel to replace them.

Eric

Gotcha, is there anything I need to check that will not be visably obvious?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:12:05 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would just open the front panel and then you'll be able to see the straps and reach up there and pull on them to see if any are broken. If they are ok, run the washer in spin with the front panel removed so you can try and see and hear where the banging is coming from.

Eric
jordanm  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 9:46:19 AM(UTC)
jordanm

Sooo now that I finally had the time to look at this the "banging during spin" that my wife told me was actually a noise during the agitate session. It did sound like a loud banging. What it actually was though was where the "shocks" attatch to the top ie hang through there is a plastic washer that comes in contact with the plastic tip on the end of the shock that keeps it held up. These had gotten very dry (washer is pretty old) and the friction was causing really loud noise when they rotated back and forth as the drum moved around during the agitate session. Threw some silicone lube on all four and it is right as rain.

The rubber bungees seem very loose and the shocks somewhat loose as well though. How much play is there supposed to be in the drum? Do these need to be replaced periodically or are they pretty much great unless they are in pieces?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply