Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chiral88  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:15:53 PM(UTC)
Chiral88

Groups: Registered

I have a Thermador Range Hood model: VCK-1, and my fan switch stopped working as it no longer turns on/off.

I've located the part I need Bosch 414471, Fan Speed Control Switch. The new part I ordered came with 3 wires (2 red and 1 green) and my original part I'm trying to replace only had 2 wires (1 White, 1 Black).

My issue is how do I hook up the switch with 3 wires without adversely affecting my appliance. I did take pictures before I disconnected the original part so I know how it hooks up with previous wiring. But now I have two wires that are the same not sure which connects where.

Am I missing something, Please help me figure out what I should be doing. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Chiral88 Go to Quoted Post
...I've located the part I need Bosch 414471, Fan Speed Control Switch. The new part I ordered came with 3 wires (2 red and 1 green) and my original part I'm trying to replace only had 2 wires (1 White, 1 Black)...

Hello,

Looks like you received a wrong part because as you can see on the following picture, the switch with the Part number: 414471
Part number: 414471

has only 2 wires.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Thermador VCK-1 Range Hood - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Chiral88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:59:00 PM(UTC)
Chiral88

Thank you for the reply, Gene. I know the part in the picture looks different then the one I received, that is obvious to me or anyone else.

However the new part is the one that comes with 3 wires now (2 red and 1 green), a simple Google search of part# 414471 will yield you with multiple sites displaying the way it looks now.

Not sure if manufacturer changed/upgraded the part but multiple sites show same as what I received. If you must; please check websites named re-pair cli-nic or even app-liance zone and look for 414471 and you will see the updated pictures.

Now getting back to my original question, how do I hook it up. Does it matter which red wire connects where. Before it was obvious since one wire was white and one was black, but not so much anymore. I appreciate the diagram but I already had it, and it shows nothing about how I would connect with this new switch and wire configuration.

I guess I can do trial n error but not sure if it would damage electrical wiring. Also can I assume that the green wire is ground??

Please help if you have any more suggestions. I appreciate all the help and thank you in advance.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:45:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Do you have the numbers from the original part?

Gene.
Chiral88  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 5:00:25 AM(UTC)
Chiral88

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Do you have the numbers from the original part?

Gene.

Yes it's 19-09-754. It is manufactured by a company called KB Electronics, inc. Model: Kbwc-15. Rated: 5.0A FLA, 14.5A LRA.

Please note I called thermador directly and they also referred me to this part and told me it's compatible with my Thermador Vck-1 model. Original part is no longer available hence this OEM part.

I have a replacement part Diagram which shows three parts listed as Fan Switch: 19-09-528 (414188); 19-09-742; and 19-09-754 (414471). I called thermador and they assured me that all the parts were compatible. I did a little digging but not sure why there are two parts of same thing (414188 & 414471). The only difference i could find was one is a kit, other is just the barebone Switch. One is for one/off for fan only and other one controls speed.

As far as I Know, the part I ordered should be compatible. This whole process is a bit confusing not sure they have multiple parts. I appreciate all your help and hope you can shed some light.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 12:50:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

Looks like this part should come with the installation instructions. Did it?

If it did, can you post the instructions please?

Gene.
Baudretsch  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 1:19:24 PM(UTC)
Baudretsch

sorry to butt in, but does that green wire go to ground maybe?
If the switch has any metal parts on the exterior, check for continuity to the green wire. If you get it, that's a ground wire.
Chiral88  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:54:06 AM(UTC)
Chiral88

Originally Posted by: Baudretsch Go to Quoted Post
sorry to butt in, but does that green wire go to ground maybe?
If the switch has any metal parts on the exterior, check for continuity to the green wire. If you get it, that's a ground wire.

No need to apologize, I truly appreciate all the help. Thanks alot for the suggestion, I will certainly check for continuity. I had already figured that the green wire is likely ground but wasn't 100% sure, but your advice will help me clarify that point.

Thanks once again, Baudretsch.
Chiral88  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:05:03 AM(UTC)
Chiral88

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Looks like this part should come with the installation instructions. Did it?

If it did, can you post the instructions please?

Gene.

Thanks for following up Gene. Unfortunately the part did not come with any instructions, hence my ignorance. Also I was hoping that there would be any markings differentiating the leads but no luck there either.

But at this point I am just going to do trial n error and see what happens. Hopefully I don't damage the ciruit, cause then it will be a bigger headache. I've tried calling various places to get a wiring diagram but they all refer me to the same diagram as the one you provided. That in itself is no help in regards to the part and alot of them just referred me to forums like this to try and get more help.

It is not the wiring that I'm confused about as I took pictures before disconnecting, it's just that the new part has no differentiation among the leads; two are same color Red but no markings. The green lead is probably ground which I will confirm by following a tip by previous user.

In any case, I do appreciate all the help. If you find anything new please certainly let me know before I try my trial n error. If not I'll post an update and let you know how it went.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:45:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

What is the serial number of the unit? It is possible we can get some help from Thermador.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply