Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hareira  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 4:49:35 PM(UTC)
hareira

Groups: Registered

We have a Viking Cooktop (model number VGSU161BSS) which was previously used with natural gas. We have moved house and need to convert this to LP. I ordered the conversion kit with instructions (LPK2-VGSU is the name on the conversion kit and instructions). The plumber came out and when he got to No 5 in the instructions he had a problem. Number 5 instructs the installer to remove the "brass rings" (item 2 in center of burner). These things are apparently very very difficult to move. Apparently, you are supposed to twist anti-clockwise! They won't budge. They do not appear to be corroded in any way. The plumber had done conversions before, but never on a Viking. We have a Sears technician coming out Monday....I fear he may suffer a similar fate. Can any of you good people here offer any suggestions? Thank you so very much, as it stands our Christmas Dinner may well be suffering this year :mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

VikTech  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:41:19 PM(UTC)
VikTech

Groups: Registered

You need the service wrench. P/N J10014905 / this has two slotted sides that will fit in the openings in the brass retainer rings. One is smaller and one is larger. I've heard of but never used a Dacor made wrench that is similar and a little more ergonomic.

They used two separate types of metal, brass rings and aluminum venturi. They tend to seize...I mean, they are always seized. Proper tool and force is the only way. It's quite possible that a venturi or two will be broken, this is no ones fault but be prepared to possibly need to replace them. *edit - when re-installing everything add some anti-seize paste on the threads. it can be found at a hardware or automotive store. It's in a grey/silver squeeze tube about 2-4oz or larger jar. This will prevent future seizing, but not be of much help for what's already there*

Hope this helps and sorry i didn't see in time to get you this before Christmas.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply