Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tricatz  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 4:11:29 PM(UTC)
Tricatz

Groups: Registered

My fridge is leaking from the freezer into the freshfood compartment . There is no defrost tube that could be plugged. What might the problem be and is it a D.I.Y type project?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 8:02:06 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Part 622 on this diagram of your unit parts is the drain trough. It has a hole in it there the drain tube should be which may be stopped up. Replacement parts for GE CTX16CAXGRAD | AppliancePartsPros.com
bstory05  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:31:13 PM(UTC)
bstory05

I had the same problem and wound up pulling the back inside panel of my freezer. I poured very hot water down the drain and found where the tube ran down the back of the fridge. I then disconnected one end and blew into it. I haven't had any water problems since.
Tricatz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:58:46 AM(UTC)
Tricatz

Ok, I've located the drain tube, which is of course full of ICE. The big problem is that the tube does not exit the fridge. It must run inside the back wall. Any suggestions on clearing this of ice? By the way, my food comprtment must be set too cold as the water bottles against the back wall tend to freeze. So, I'm sure that the entire drain tube must also be frozen. HELP!!!!
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:32:16 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I would try hot water and maybe a hairdryer till it melted far enough to drain out. Blow through it or use a turkey baster or air pressure to clear it out all the way once it's melted. When the water runs through fast enough it won't have time to freeze. It gets stopped up at the drain pan under the fridge. Blowing air through it will clear the bottom out.
Tricatz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:39:52 AM(UTC)
Tricatz

Woodchuckie, that worked great. I used the hot water. Once the top quit filling with water, I assumed it was clear. I put the thing back together before I got your last post. If if starts happening again I will deffinatly use the turkey baster. I must say that what was happening was, the drain tube got plugged. Then, when the trough would fill up with ice and water, it would spill over into the freezer and collect under the elevated floor. When that was full of water and ice it would overflow through the venilation hole and run down into the fresh food compartment.

Thanks for all the help from all the posters. I know where to come back to in the future! DIY's Rule!