Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vornato  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:52:05 AM(UTC)
vornato

Groups: Registered

I have posted a couple of times. Oh well, give it another try. The main top I am trying to remove from a gas range/sealed burners/ignitor type range, will not lift in the back. The front clips will loosen to let the top up about two inches, but for some reason the back under the control panel will not lift. Job aid says to prop up top after loosening clips on front, but it will only prop up about two inches, and I can't access under main top to replace electronic ignitors. There are instructions for removing the top, but you have to remove the burners and the unit is over 20 years old, and the screws are rusted that are holding the burners to main top. Took one screw out, but the other one on burner broke off at the head. So it isn't practical to remove the burners, could be costly. Is there a latch or something holding the rear main top from lifting. Thanks, any help appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:45:37 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

In order to completely remove the top you will need to get the screws out that hold the burner assemblies to the top. Once they are removed the top will come right off. I carry a set of stripped screw taps to back out those screws and then replace them with new ones.

TechnicianBrian
vornato  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:00:13 AM(UTC)
vornato

Thanks! I am not to familiar with stripped screw taps. I use to use them years ago when I was a welder, but haven't used them in a while. Is there any specific type you use. Any type made for appliances. Any certain size. The screws are small, do you have a size to reccomend. I know it's a lot of questions, but I appreciate the advice. Thanks!
vornato  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:06:05 AM(UTC)
vornato

Thanks for info. Do you use a certain size. I know the screws are small, so it would have to be pretty small, won't you scratch the cooktop.
vornato  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:15:28 AM(UTC)
vornato

Do you use the curly type or the straight flu type. Screw extractor that is.
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 9:04:20 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

I have a set of Craftsman screw extractors and just use the one that gets the screws out.

TechnicianBrian
vornato  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 4:07:58 AM(UTC)
vornato

I'll give it a try. Hey, appreciate the help. Thanks!