Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hedgcock  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:51:10 PM(UTC)
hedgcock

Groups: Registered

My GE Profile refrigerator is cooling fine, but the freezer fan has been groaning for some time. The pitch goes up and down frequently and is driving the family crazy. After reading several posts on this forum, I replaced the main control board. I didn't have any burned resistors. I still hear the noise.

Would you suggest replacing the evaporator fan motor? I have also heard reports that this noise may be caused by ice/frost on the fan blades. Ever heard of this?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 12:38:52 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is there anything else that is changing, like the compressor turning off? If not, remove the freezer back panel and try to isolate the noise, might be just the panel vibrating, or the evaporator tubing.
hedgcock  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 3:19:19 AM(UTC)
hedgcock

I don't think anything is vibrating or rubbing and the operation of the fridge otherwise seems fine. I'll try removing the back panel and see.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 4:55:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

One other thing. Do you remember the box the motherboard was in? If it lacked the original factory packing tape, the motherboard is a used item!
hedgcock  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 6:46:21 AM(UTC)
hedgcock

I'm not sure if the factory tape was attached. I'm out of town today, but will check when I get home. The bubble wrap inside the box sure didn't seem original. It was two different types/sizes of bubbles. I bought the part from appliancepartspros.com
richappy  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 7:46:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

The original packing tape is nylon reinforced packing tape, just one piece that sealed the box lid.
hedgcock  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:08:54 AM(UTC)
hedgcock

Turns out the original packaging tape had been cut with additional tape put over it, so I likely had a used board. I also ordered a new evaporator fan, but after opening the rear panel of the freezer determined that I needed a fan with thermistor, even through my model number (PSS26SGPASS) doesn't call for one according to the appliancepartspro website. I guess I'll be returning both of these parts and start over.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:11:10 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would not return the evaporator fan motor, a lot of the GE refrigerators specify the motor that was sent. You will just have to splice in the new fan motor with in line splices, sorry, you can blame GE for that, not this site.
ledfoot  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:10:03 PM(UTC)
ledfoot

I have the exact same problem-- groaning in cycles when freezer on, if I flip freezer from 2 to 1 it quits until it turns back on again. Drives a person mad! So I'm wondering if the fan motor fixed the last users problem? Mine has been like this a couple years. Suggestions appreciated.. fridge keeps cold/frozen fine. Just that every 2 or 3 second cycle of groaning...

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would not return the evaporator fan motor, a lot of the GE refrigerators specify the motor that was sent. You will just have to splice in the new fan motor with in line splices, sorry, you can blame GE for that, not this site.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply