Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cca610  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 2:01:36 PM(UTC)
cca610

Groups: Registered

I have no experience with do-it-yourself repairs, but I am trying to save some money, if at all possible. Our refrigerator has stopped freezing and cooling. Everything in the freezer is melting and getting warm in the refrigerator. The compressor seems to be working...when I put my hand on it, its hot and vibrating. The freezer does not seem to have the normal sounds coming from it. I had called a repairman, but then cancelled because I heard the ice drop, and the freezer had started working again. It seemed to work for a while, and then it stopped. At one point, it sounded like a fan was struggling to work. So, I opened the freezer door and it seemed like the noise was coming from there. Can you please help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2012 10:33:39 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

Replace the Adaptive Defrost Control part# 5303918476
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:42:10 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When it fails, what is running/ not running?
If you suspect the adaptive defrost board,(although rarely intermittent) go to web site www.applianceaid.com There are two procedures ther to test defrost, one should work.
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:54:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire FRS6LR5EM2 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]Our refrigerator has stopped freezing and cooling. Everything in the freezer is melting and getting warm in the refrigerator. The compressor seems to be working...when I put my hand on it, its hot and vibrating.[/COLOR]
You said it stopped cooling, was this no cooling at all of just not as much cooling as normal?
This is important because you say that the compressor is running so the evaporator coils should be getting cold. Unless there is a sealed system problem which often means junking the unit so you need to be sure about what is going on.

[COLOR="Blue"]At one point, it sounded like a fan was struggling to work. So, I opened the freezer door and it seemed like the noise was coming from there.[/COLOR]
Remove the evaporator cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.

First check that the evaporator/freezer fan is running and is blowing OK.
If it is not working when the compressor is on or is struggling to start or is slow then check the power across it. If it is 120 volts then replace the fan.
The fan is very important as it pulls air through the evaporator coils to cool it and also circulates the air in the freezer and fresh food sections.

Next check the evaporator coils.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost on them. Be sure to check after the compressor has run for a couple hours. If you do it shortly after a defrost cycle you may come to the wrong conclusion.

If they are heavily iced/frosted over to the pint where the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them then you have a defrost problem. Get back to the forum for info on how to troubleshoot this.

If there is just frost in one area usually where the freon enters the coils then it is probably a sealed system problem. From your description I doubt this is the problem.

It would also be a good time to clean the vents in the kick plate and rear cover. Also clean the condenser coils under the unit and the condenser/compressor fan blades.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!