Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
campbell42  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:07:24 PM(UTC)
campbell42

Groups: Registered

My dryer just started being really loud the other day. I am not hearing a "ca-thunk ca-thunk" which would make me think that there is a balance problem or anything. It is just louder. Drum still rotates, air moves, and the heat coils work.

I followed the steps at http://www.applianceaid.com/how...-take-apart-ge-dryer.php and took things apart. I cleaned out all the lint that had gotten in the motor area. I also removed the drum and turned the dryer on. It ran quiet. I then assembled everything, and it was still loud.

Any ideas why it is so loud now? Is the motor going out? Is there a bearing or something that might be causing this loudness?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

campbell42  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:18:54 AM(UTC)
campbell42

I have ordered the rear drum bearing kit as well as the front drum bearing glide. I will post updates later.
campbell42  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:39:55 PM(UTC)
campbell42

Well, that didn't fix it. In hindsight, I should have known it wouldn't fix it as the noise isn't a squeal or squeak. It is just louder in general. So, I assume that means it's the motor?
RandyJ  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:51:14 PM(UTC)
RandyJ

I'm a general troubleshooter/handyman, not much into appliance repair. With that said... I would use something like a stethoscope to narrow down the source of the noise. Even a stick against something and the other end next to your ear can tell you a lot. If it's a rubbing noise then it may be something to do with the drum. I've found dryer belts rubbing against idler brackets that made a heck of a noise. One of the worst noises I found in a dryer was caused by a screw that fell out of my pocket while my pants were being dried. It was lodged between the drum and wall. Isolating the area then finding the source is my usual approach to funky noises.
campbell42  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 11:39:15 AM(UTC)
campbell42

Hi all. I should have replied sooner, but replacing the motor indeed made it quieter.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply