Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnnygal  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:39:21 AM(UTC)
johnnygal

Groups: Registered

I got a new Relay / Overload part for Maytag Top Freezer unit from APP. Maytag had replaced the old part with a different version. Orriginal part # was ap3455053 . The new part #ap4009659 is a little different .The instructions are easy for the most part but their is a white jumper wire that they say goes from #2 on the relay. That's easy to 3/16 terminal on old harness. Diagram does not show what that means. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

toofah  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
toofah

I have the same problem. I think it might be working now. Here's what I saw:
- plugged in new overload and start relay
- I have two wires on my old harness (blue and orange)
- plugged blue wire to overload as instructed
- plugged white jumper to left terminal as instructed
- instructions says to plug white jumper into 3/16th terminal on old harness...not sure what that means...moved on
- instructions say to plug orange or white wire to right terminal on ptc start device. I have an orange wire but it doesn't fit on right terminal...hmmm

- finally decided that jumper wire has 3/16th end and that the orange wire on harness seems to fit it...plugged it in...maybe that's what they meant...and would now make sense that they gave me a jumper because the size of the terminal changed on the new piece...correct?
- nothing left to plug into the right terminal of the start device...leaving it empty for now
- plugged in the refrigerator and compressor started humming...is it fixed? I guess that time will tell...
toofah  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:50:58 AM(UTC)
toofah

Wahoo...it worked...this site is great and saved me $100's that the repair man wanted to charge...THANKS!!!:) :) :) :) :p
johnnygal  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:03:11 AM(UTC)
johnnygal

Toofah. I did what you suggessed. So far so good. It's running anyway. I'll let you know when i'm sure !!! Thanks.
johnnygal  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:09:01 PM(UTC)
johnnygal

Toofah. It ran good all afternoon. Good call. You are the MAN. Thanks. Really appriciate your help :)
toofah  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:16:00 PM(UTC)
toofah

Glad I was able to help!!!
istolexmas  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 7:40:01 AM(UTC)
istolexmas

Hi, I noticed you had success replacing your overload/relay on your refridgerator. I was wondering if you could help me with the wiring....(I had guy from craigslist come out originally and he unplugged things and tried to tell me that a $12 part cost $200+ so I threw him out of my house.... now a few things like the start device and overload are unplugged and I am a bit lost as to how the old stuff was connected)
julees  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 12:29:55 PM(UTC)
julees

I need some assistance with the wiring of a replacement compressor overload and starter relay wiring.
The replacement part is differnt than the original and the instructions are a little vague.

Original starter relay:
2 orange wires on the left terminal -- one goes to a capacitor (?), the other to the main wiring harness
1 white wire on the right terminal -- goes to the capacitor (?)

Original overload:
1 blue wire to the terminal.

The replacement part instructions are:
plug white jumper wire (provided) on left terminal of PTC Start Device
plug 3/16 terminal of white jumper into old harness
plug orange or white wire to right terminal of PTC Start device
plug blue wire into overload terminal

The blue wire is easy.

The question is with the white jumper wire.

Do I connect it to the two "orange wires" that were originally connected to the left terminal?

Logic says that should be the case but a post by "johnnygal" in April 2009
has me a little confused. I kind of think that "johnnygal" did not have a capacitor. So it is a little different than my situation.

If I connect the jumper to the two orange wires, then I should connect the origianl white wire to the right terminal -- correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Julees

Post by johnnygal in April 2009:

I have the same problem. I think it might be working now. Here's what I saw:
- plugged in new overload and start relay
- I have two wires on my old harness (blue and orange)
- plugged blue wire to overload as instructed
- plugged white jumper to left terminal as instructed
- instructions says to plug white jumper into 3/16th terminal on old harness...not sure what that means...moved on
- instructions say to plug orange or white wire to right terminal on ptc start device. I have an orange wire but it doesn't fit on right terminal...hmmm

- finally decided that jumper wire has 3/16th end and that the orange wire on harness seems to fit it...plugged it in...maybe that's what they meant...and would now make sense that they gave me a jumper because the size of the terminal changed on the new piece...correct?
- nothing left to plug into the right terminal of the start device...leaving it empty for now
- plugged in the refrigerator and compressor started humming...is it fixed? I guess that time will tell...