Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FREE100KSECRET  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:46:32 AM(UTC)
FREE100KSECRET

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: DIY Mommy Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for looking. If it helps it does have Twin Cooling System. I suspect that the somewhere around the big circular "Twin Cooling" is where the add'l holds are. Again, any guidance is appreciated!

There is one small plastic cover which is hiding center screw, pop that off carefully and you will see it. Good luck, I have been having problem for a long time, mostly in summer, so I am just starting to pull it apart.
DIY Mommy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:07:23 PM(UTC)
DIY Mommy

thanks for the reply! Any pointers on where that small plastic coer is located? I don't see any obvious covers so thought it might be tucked behind the twin cooling system sign, but it sounds like I'm looking int he wrong place. There was one cover, but when I removed it there was foam that I didn't pull out. Is that where I need focus?
FREE100KSECRET  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:47:05 PM(UTC)
FREE100KSECRET

Originally Posted by: DIY Mommy Go to Quoted Post
thanks for the reply! Any pointers on where that small plastic coer is located? I don't see any obvious covers so thought it might be tucked behind the twin cooling system sign, but it sounds like I'm looking int he wrong place. There was one cover, but when I removed it there was foam that I didn't pull out. Is that where I need focus?

If you have french door RF266 version, there is a rack bracket mount in center of the plastic twin cool panel, and one screw is at top of rack, small square plastic cover same as the exposed one at the bottom of rack bracket.

I must warn you, cover is probably stuck if it was like mine with frost and ice buildup behind cover. Defrost with hair dryer first is best advice. Also, there are small raiser arrow indicators, two on each side, these are plastic grasps, so you have to apply a little screw driver pressure to release cover. If you get one side released, the other comes out easy with a little wiggling.

Good luck,
camelian  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:40:46 AM(UTC)
camelian

After a great 5 months my Samsung is now leaking again!! I found some water on the floor by the refrigerator and when I removed the left food bin sure enough, there was a lake once again. @$(*%()*

If I am going to have to defrost my fridge every 5 months I'd rather have my parents 20 year old fridge that runs like a champ

Has it happened to anyone else again as well? Is it just bad design or is there a part I need to replace? This is a disgrace to Samsung's name
FREE100KSECRET  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 4:12:02 PM(UTC)
FREE100KSECRET

Originally Posted by: camelian Go to Quoted Post
After a great 5 months my Samsung is now leaking again!! I found some water on the floor by the refrigerator and when I removed the left food bin sure enough, there was a lake once again. @$(*%()*

If I am going to have to defrost my fridge every 5 months I'd rather have my parents 20 year old fridge that runs like a champ

Has it happened to anyone else again as well? Is it just bad design or is there a part I need to replace? This is a disgrace to Samsung's name

Yes, this is a constant issue, and it is always the same problem, ice frost buildup given the defrost cycle is too short ezpecially in summer months. I solved problem by blow drying ice, ran a coat hanger down drain hole at the center bottom drain hole as ice was formed down about an inch into drain. It was hard as ice, not just frost, and this has been the same issue over and over.

This time I wrapped 12 guage copper wire around bottom of defrosting heat coil and then inserted one end of copper wire down drain hole. Now when defrost cycle comes on, it heats the copper wire melting any build up at the drain hole. So far, so good, but easy fix overall.
thmil  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:23:01 AM(UTC)
thmil

Originally Posted by: FREE100KSECRET Go to Quoted Post
Yes, this is a constant issue, and it is always the same problem, ice frost buildup given the defrost cycle is too short ezpecially in summer months. I solved problem by blow drying ice, ran a coat hanger down drain hole at the center bottom drain hole as ice was formed down about an inch into drain. It was hard as ice, not just frost, and this has been the same issue over and over.

This time I wrapped 12 guage copper wire around bottom of defrosting heat coil and then inserted one end of copper wire down drain hole. Now when defrost cycle comes on, it heats the copper wire melting any build up at the drain hole. So far, so good, but easy fix overall.

Excellent advice from all, thanks.

Free100Ksecret, where is this defrosting coil? is it the black tube inside behind the panel or in the rear, behind the panel near the floor? How many turns of the wire? How long is the wire and how long is it extended down the tube?

We've had the fridge for about two years and it always made a big cracking noise. Never hooked up the ice maker line until this summer. Just recently the water pooling issue started happening. Wondering if others had the ice maker (water line) connected or not. Don't know if hooking up the water line expedited the ice build up or if it's taken two years for the pooling water problem to materialize. Thanks again everyone. Tim
FREE100KSECRET  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:59:10 AM(UTC)
FREE100KSECRET

Originally Posted by: thmil Go to Quoted Post
Excellent advice from all, thanks.

Free100Ksecret, where is this defrosting coil? is it the black tube inside behind the panel or in the rear, behind the panel near the floor? How many turns of the wire? How long is the wire and how long is it extended down the tube?

We've had the fridge for about two years and it always made a big cracking noise. Never hooked up the ice maker line until this summer. Just recently the water pooling issue started happening. Wondering if others had the ice maker (water line) connected or not. Don't know if hooking up the water line expedited the ice build up or if it's taken two years for the pooling water problem to materialize. Thanks again everyone. Tim

The coil is metal, square in shape with input plug at top right hand side and surrounds to evaporator. Coil bottom is close to the drain hole where there is a metal shelf or gutter like in shape, the hole is in middle, so wrapping the wire around coil tightly is how wire picks up high heat from coil during defrost mode every 8 hours or so and this will keep the hole clear of ice preventing overflow into bottom of refrigerator section, or under veggie bin. I had this problem get worse in summer, not much of problem in winter months.

As to cracking sound, yes, they all do this, expansion noise, normal by what I heard from Samsung's useless service support system. I got fed up with waiting for a call back, and after weeks of emailing and leaving messages, this is when I decided to fix it myself. Icemaker is not the issue with water building up unless it was visibly leaking from spout. I did have this water line freeze up and stop working once or twice due to ice buildup in water unit at back left corner, so this is another issue common in these terrible units. Never again, my Samsung Plasma TV just blew too, so not happy with this Korean junk.

Good luck,
thmil  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:16:01 PM(UTC)
thmil

Thanks. I know, I was excited about all this tablet computer stuff thinking it might help me in my job. Samsung is big in tablets and phones too so I was researching them a lot. ended up going to the store today just to get a first hand look. These things are just big gadgets for teenagers. I can do better with my old HP windows mobile pda. As one commenter on this thread mentioned the good old refrigerators, I think that there needs to be a backwards revolution to get consumer products back to basics. We really don't need all these fancy things just to keep our food cold. I'm not saying that design isn't important, it's just that a refrigerator should operate as good as it looks.
camelian  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:38:27 AM(UTC)
camelian

Originally Posted by: FREE100KSECRET Go to Quoted Post

Wow, Genius! Is there any risk of fire in doing this? I went to home depot to pick up some copper wire and when I told them what I was trying to do with it the lady got upset and almost didn't want to sell it to me claiming someone has caught their fridge on fire and burned down their house trying to do this. I can't see how that could happen given that copper doesn't catch on fire. How hot do the coils get? Could it melt the plastic around the drain tube if it's in too deep?

For those having trouble locating the heating coil, this thread has clear pictures to help you find it http://www.justanswer.com/appli...freezer-french-door.html
FREE100KSECRET  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:45:28 PM(UTC)
FREE100KSECRET

Originally Posted by: camelian Go to Quoted Post
Wow, Genius! Is there any risk of fire in doing this? I went to home depot to pick up some copper wire and when I told them what I was trying to do with it the lady got upset and almost didn't want to sell it to me claiming someone has caught their fridge on fire and burned down their house trying to do this. I can't see how that could happen given that copper doesn't catch on fire. How hot do the coils get? Could it melt the plastic around the drain tube if it's in too deep?

For those having trouble locating the heating coil, this thread has clear pictures to help you find it http://www.justanswer.com/appli...freezer-french-door.html

Funny, now I have heard everything. lol We are talking about conductive heat, and the coil does not get hot enough to burn anything, it barely melts the ice. I would say if it gets to 125 degrees I would be amazed, and given the copper wire will not duplicate this temperature, no fire is possible. It is actually in water at the point of drain hole, so good trick to catch anything on fire.