Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mch28  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:51:28 PM(UTC)
mch28

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator won't go into defrost mode. I have replaced the bi-metal thermostat with no luck. The evaporator freezes up solid after about 2 months and won't allow the air to flow through it to cool the fridge side. The freezer is fine. I don't have any guide for entering diagnostics. The heater ohms out fine. How can I manually defrost this unit? and What should I try next? There doesn't seem to be a defrost timer. I don't want to throw a $150 main PWB in to find out it didn't fix it.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ripleys  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:28:49 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

I am no expert on kitchenaid fridges, but if you replaced the defrost thermostat and the heater checks out fine, I'd be safe in saying that the board would need replacing.
okbobcats  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:31:14 PM(UTC)
okbobcats

I think you hold the on button and water reset button for adout 3 secouds or so. then you can advance it by pressing the water reset button. I think its when you get to four or five that it goes into the defroost mode. then just keep pressing the water reset button till it back to normal run.
mch28  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:31:55 PM(UTC)
mch28

Originally Posted by: ripleys Go to Quoted Post
I am no expert on kitchenaid fridges, but if you replaced the defrost thermostat and the heater checks out fine, I'd be safe in saying that the board would need replacing.

That's what I think too. I just don't know if I missed anything else. I can't seem to find a timer, so I believe it must be on the board.
mch28  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:35:06 PM(UTC)
mch28

Originally Posted by: okbobcats Go to Quoted Post
I think you hold the on button and water reset button for adout 3 secouds or so. then you can advance it by pressing the water reset button. I think its when you get to four or five that it goes into the defroost mode. then just keep pressing the water reset button till it back to normal run.

I tried that and it never went into diag. I unplugged and tried also within 13 seconds as suggested on another post.
ripleys  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:38:16 PM(UTC)
ripleys

There is no timer and there is a diagnostics sheet behind the kick panel on the front of the fridge stuck up on the top. Slide your hand along and if no one has remover it you could find it. But I truely believe you will need a board as I ran into one of these fridges 2 weeks ago.
mch28  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:45:32 PM(UTC)
mch28

There is no timer and there is a diagnostics sheet behind the kick panel on the front of the fridge stuck up on the top. Slide your hand along and if no one has remover it you could find it. But I truely believe you will need a board as I ran into one of these fridges 2 weeks ago.

There isn't any paperwork in the front or back. I looked last week and just now rechecked where you said. I'm going to pull the back lower cover off again to recheck.
mch28  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:01:37 PM(UTC)
mch28

Didn't see any paperwork in the back either.

This site doesn't seem to have the model # to choose from for the control board.:confused:
ripleys  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:17:13 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Is there a control board in the back of the fridge behind the panel that covers the compressor mounted on the left side?
mch28  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:25:53 PM(UTC)
mch28

Is there a control board in the back of the fridge behind the panel that covers the compressor mounted on the left side?

No. The only control boards are in the refrigerator side at the top.