Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevo123  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:11:20 AM(UTC)
stevo123

Groups: Registered

Hi..last week the fridge compartment lost it's cool, but the freezer was ok. I took the freezer plate off and it was iced up. I ohmed out the defrost heating element and it was bad, so I got a new one and replaced it. Fired up the fridge and it ran for only a few minutes then quit. I then checked the compressor overload element and the relay....both checked out. Next I took out the defrost timer. I am getting no continuity between pins 1 and 3....even when I rotate the timer 360 degrees and hear the magic "click". I think the timer is bad. But the question is...does anyone know if this would actually prevent the compressor and fan from firing up? Is it possible to momentarily jumper terminals 1 and 3 to see if this will get the fridge to fire up....or is that not a good idea? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:07:32 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

On your timer 1 and 3 are the timer motor contacts. You should read continuity.
To bypass the timer jump 1 and 4 when timer is in compressor mode.
Make sure the cold control contacts are closed so 120VAc goes to the timer.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Magic Chef CTB2122ARW REF - TOP MOUNT | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you.Post the results.

Simon.
stevo123  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 7:16:52 AM(UTC)
stevo123

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

On your timer 1 and 3 are the timer motor contacts. You should read continuity.
To bypass the timer jump 1 and 4 when timer is in compressor mode.
Make sure the cold control contacts are closed so 120VAc goes to the timer.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Magic Chef CTB2122ARW REF - TOP MOUNT | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you.Post the results.

Simon.

Thank you Simon. I think the issue is solved-on the advise of a repair guy I reinstalled the timer and sat back and had a cold beer and waited. Apparently I was too impatient and did not let the timer cycle through it's normal cycle. I got the fridge to start by manually advancing the timer. Apparently I did not advance it enough the first time to get the continuity on 1 and 3. Since last night it has cycled properly and the fridge temp is 37 degrees. For some reason I was under the impression the fridge should run continuously until it cooled down, but I guess that's not the case. It will run and then shut down and start up again depending on where the timer is at. Does that sound right? Also, I believe this will automatically go into a defrost cycle from time to time-even though it may not necessarily trigger the heating element? I couldn't find any specs on how the timer should cycle, but everything seems to be fine now.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 12:12:39 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Let it run for a few days and see what happened.

Simon.