Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
howieb38  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 11:52:43 AM(UTC)
howieb38

Groups: Registered

I ordered a PTC relay and overload assembly for my Kitchen Aid side by side refrigerator / freezer. Part number Whirlpool # 819160.

The instructions are not clear. I have an Embraco compressor and have removed the old PTC and overload relay with no problem. My confusion is with the "L" wire from the new unit. In the instructions it says to connect it to the Cabinet Lead Red in one figure (8), and in Figure 6 it says to connect it to the terminal box?? In all of the diagrams, it never shows a connection to the "C" terminal on the compressor. That's where the old overload relay was connect to.

I also have two white wires coming from one side of the Start capacitor. The diagrams only show one wire (red in the diagrams)

In the instructions, Procedure 3, paragraph "J" it says to connect the white wire with terminals from the junction box to compressor terminals "C". That completely confuses me. Nothing in the figures show any connection going to the "C" terminal.

HELP.

I reconnected the old unit as it still works but is intermittent.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:15:45 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tell me what you want to replace, the overload device, or the start device or both?
From the picture, I have no idea what this device does!!
howieb38  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:24:10 PM(UTC)
howieb38

It seems like the two of them are built into one unit. The installation instructions say "PTC Relay and Overload Assembly. The unit has three letters on the leads, S, M and L. The S lead goes to one side of the Start Capacitor, the other side goes to the S input on the compressor. The M lead goes to goes to the other side of the Start Capacitor and then to the M input of the compressor. The L lead (I'm guessing that is for overLoad??) says in the instructions that it goes to the terminal box?? But the diagrams don't show any connection to the C input on the compressor. Very confusing.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:31:50 PM(UTC)
richappy

Check some things for me please. The capacitor is a 15 mf RUN capacitor, right! The refrigerator has R12 refrigerant, is that correct!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:35:00 PM(UTC)
richappy

The only thing that makes sense is this is a start device only.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:41:27 PM(UTC)
richappy

Assuming you have a 15 mf capacitor and you want to replace the overload and start device, this device is not usefull for you, just send it back.
Order a URO41 (AP4503418) for 1/4 to 1/3 hp compressors.
To wire this in, you will need a meter to check the compressor, unless you know which compressor pins are common, start and run.
howieb38  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:41:36 PM(UTC)
howieb38

Hi Rich:

It's a 20mf run capacitor. The one side has two white wires, on from the AC and the other goes to the M terminal of the PTC. I have a close up photo I could send you of the original unit, which consisted of two separate items, the PTC and the overload relay.
howieb38  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:44:05 PM(UTC)
howieb38

I know the compressor is good, the unit works OK, but sometime goes dead like the plug was pulled. No lights, no ice machine action. Should I still abandon this item?
richappy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:53:31 PM(UTC)
richappy

Don't think you have a compressor component problem, the problem is someplace else like a cold control. If you monitor the voltage to the compressor,it would probably show no voltage when it fails.
howieb38  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:59:16 PM(UTC)
howieb38

So I guess it's time to consult a pro? The main problem it that it's so intermittent. I never know when it will shut off.