Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seayii  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 10:30:25 AM(UTC)
seayii

Groups: Registered

My refridgerator is not cooling or freezing and was wandering what I can check to see what the problem might be. The fan is coming on but the compressor is not.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 2:01:58 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Use the multimeter to check if there is 120VA to the compressor.
Yes - check the continuity between 3 compressor's pins and to the "ground".
If there is continuity between the pins and compressor is not grounded - replace the start components

Part number: 5304468029
Part number: 5304468029

Use the opportunity to clean the condenser while you are there.

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
seayii  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:12:38 AM(UTC)
seayii

ok unpluged the compressor and checked for vac and I do have one pin at 123vac. your next desc. of checking continuity between the pins and compressor not grounded was a little iffy so I hooked my ground from my multimeter to the fridge ground after I removed it from the compressor and probed the 3 internal pins on the start component and all had some continuity. 1 at 1.7, 1 at 6.3, and one at 107.3. Please let me know if this means the start component is bad or what I might check next. I also should give you more info on the unit. When it quit working the freezer side stopped working off and on for a week, and with everything hooked up you can hear the compressor try and start for about 5 to 10seconds and shut off and thats all it does.
seayii  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:28:58 AM(UTC)
seayii

Originally Posted by: seayii Go to Quoted Post
ok unpluged the compressor and checked for vac and I do have one pin at 123vac. your next desc. of checking continuity between the pins and compressor not grounded was a little iffy so I hooked my ground from my multimeter to the fridge ground after I removed it from the compressor and probed the 3 internal pins on the start component and all had some continuity. 1 at 1.7, 1 at 6.3, and one at 107.3. Please let me know if this means the start component is bad or what I might check next. I also should give you more info on the unit. When it quit working the freezer side stopped working off and on for a week, and with everything hooked up you can hear the compressor try and start for about 5 to 10seconds and shut off and thats all it does.

ok also checked the compressor pins and got readings of 4.0, 8.6, and 5.6
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:25:32 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

To check if the compressor is "grounded" touch with one meter probe any compressor pins and second probe to any copper tubing.
If you read continuity - compressor is bad.

So if you'll establish that compressor is not "grounded" and there is 120VAC to the start devise you need to replace the start devise.

Thank you.Post the results.

Simon.