Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages<1234>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
evo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:42:43 AM(UTC)
evo

Groups: Registered

Well still waiting for the recommendation on springs from Kitchen Aid so I replaced the spring with the original number 4452396 RH SS models.
Follow the instructions with the pictures the reverse to reassemble.

UPDATE: I found out that if you put a drop of motor oil or other same weight oil on all the places where the spring goes through a metal hole or rubs on (when spring is new), that the spring will no longer break every year! After replacing 4 years in a row after the 5th spring replacement with oil it has lasted 5 years and still has not broke again. If the spring rubs on the holes and gets any sort of a scratch it will produce a stress riser and that is where it breaks.
evo attached the following image(s):
DSC03770.JPG
DSC03771.JPG
DSC03772.JPG
DSC03773.JPG
DSC03774.JPG
DSC03775.JPG
DSC03776.JPG
DSC03777.JPG
DSC03778.JPG
DSC03779.JPG
DSC03780.JPG
DSC03781.JPG
DSC03782.JPG
DSC03783.JPG
DSC03784.JPG
DSC03785.JPG
DSC03786.JPG
DSC03787.JPG
cati98  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:43:50 PM(UTC)
cati98

I HAVE THE SEPERATE, BUILT IN MICRO, WHICH IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE OVEN. SOME OF THE STEPS HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT SINCE, I AM NOT DEALING WITH THE OVEN. ANY TIPS????:confused: :confused:
johrobin  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:36:22 PM(UTC)
johrobin

ok so both my springs on my SS microwave are broken. i ordered 2 4451009 medium weight spring to replace them as instructed. the first went in perfect as shown on the detail directions and pictures (thanks for the details!!!). the second does not seem to work unless you recommend twisting one end 180 degrees. is there a left and right option for the 4451009 medium weight spring? thanks in advance for you help...
salimshah  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:51:15 PM(UTC)
salimshah

Originally Posted by: cati98 Go to Quoted Post
I HAVE THE SEPERATE, BUILT IN MICRO, WHICH IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE OVEN. SOME OF THE STEPS HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT SINCE, I AM NOT DEALING WITH THE OVEN. ANY TIPS????:confused: :confused:

I just finished replacing the broken spring on our KBHC109JSS KithchenAid. This is a stand alone stainless steel unit.

Tools needed:
Stubby Phillips.
Angled screwdriver which can work in tight space
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_tools_...crewdriver.asp
Harborfreight sells an equivalent drive for cheap.

1. Swing open the door. Locate 2 screws on the side of the frame. The head gets exposed on the sides once the door is opened up. (use stubby phillips). Slide down and swing out the trim pieces.

2. Undo the 2 screws that hold the bottom trim piece of the microwave frame. The screws are on the side.

3. Keep the door open and undo 2 screws that hold the front door. [top portion of the door from inside.] Hold on to the door-skin and pull it up and out. [pic 1 from evo]

4. Once the skin is removed, it will expose a plastic shell. Fold the attached part of the door in close position. Dont need to latch it closed. Locate the 2 screws that hold the plastic shell and undo them using the low clearance angled screw driver. ... Look up from below. On my model there are 2 stainless steel "U" pieces that hold the bottom of the door skin. You dont have to remove them form the plastic shell. [pic 7 from evo. there is no metal shielding and you will see black colored plastic]

5. With the plastic shell removed, the torsion spring(s) can be replaced. Once you thread the new spring in, it will take a bit of patience to snap the end in place.

6. Re-assembly is reverse 5 -1

Note: You dont need to detatch the microwave out of the cabinet.

Caution: If you have the stainless steel, the bottom of the door can be very sharp.

Correction of previous post: Left and Right springs are NOT interchangeable. You can not use the higher tension right for the left spring.

Salim
red4ree  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2009 9:34:31 AM(UTC)
red4ree

Originally Posted by: johrobin Go to Quoted Post
ok so both my springs on my SS microwave are broken. i ordered 2 4451009 medium weight spring to replace them as instructed. the first went in perfect as shown on the detail directions and pictures (thanks for the details!!!). the second does not seem to work unless you recommend twisting one end 180 degrees. is there a left and right option for the 4451009 medium weight spring? thanks in advance for you help...

I have the same problem with my KitchenAid stainless steel microwave/oven combo (Model YKEMC308KM01). It has already been replaced under extended warranty but broken again one year later. Before I take it apart, does the medium weight 4451009 spring replace the original right (4452396) or original left (4452395) spring? Has anyone used the recomended alternate medium weight to replcace both?...if so, how?

Thank you.
airwolph  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:20:03 AM(UTC)
airwolph

Great thread Evo!!! My RH torsion spring was the culprit, went to Whirpools site to order the part at $50.00 bucks...founds this site offering the same part for $25

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Spring, torsion ( right hand) Blue Tip, part number: AP3082257

Thanks again for your help!!:)
atx97  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:52:01 AM(UTC)
atx97

BIG thanks for the great info/pics Evo! We replaced our springs and now the door is perfect again! Your post was a great help. Thanks again.
toddt  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:36:42 AM(UTC)
toddt

I just finished changing the RH torsion spring on my KitchenAid stainless steel microwave/oven combo (Model KEMS308GSS) for the fifth time (9/02, 3/05, 2/07, 3/08 and 5/09). This unit was installed in my kitchen in 3/01. I have always replaced the spring with the production unit (4452396). This time I installed the medium spring (4451009) based on the information from this forum. Unfortunately the door is heavier to use now, but if I never have to replace that spring again it will be worth it. I expect the medium spring will last as long as the LH spring (4452395) which has never broken, since the diameters are so close (Med RH: 0.142”, LH: 0.139”). The diameter of the heavy RH production spring is 0.156”.

A few comments about installation:

• The first step when replacing these springs is to remove the microwave door. This door is only held on by two screws. If you don’t hang onto the door when you take these screws out, significant damage will occur (see earlier posts by others). I learned this the hard way the first time I did it.
  • I find this job easier if the oven door is removed. This is a one minute job if you use a Hinge Pin Kit (814381) which can be purchased from this web site. See step 2 in the microwave/oven combo installation instructions for the oven door removal procedure.
  • The oven exhaust vent that blocks the removal of the left screw on the bottom of the plastic microwave door frame can be “unhooked” from the attachment screw located inside the vent by lifting the vent while pushing in on the vent and pulling out on the front oven frame. The attachment screw holding the vent to the frame goes through an oblong hole in the bottom of the vent. Once the vent is unhooked, it can be moved to the side to access the left screw. Wear gloves, its sharp and watch out for the electrical wires to the right of the vent.

Many thanks to Appliance Parts Pros.com for supporting this forum and for producing a user-friendly web site.
bhh626  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:27:51 PM(UTC)
bhh626

Thanks to evo for the original detailed instructions and to Toddt for instructions on my exact model number. Since I also had the lower oven door not closing completely problem as described in other threads, I took Toddt's advice about removing lower oven door to make the torsion spring replacement job easier. While the lower door was off I replaced both hinges/springs. So, in the space of a couple of hours I got my microwave door fixed and my lower oven door fixed as well.

Only glitch in the process was that my microwave would not wiggle out far enough to get to the screw above the oven vent tube. Tried and tried and finally wound up hacksawing the head off the screw just inside the vent tube so that I could move the vent tube to the right just far enough to get to the screw.

Double victory day!
margieabrown  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:24:17 AM(UTC)
margieabrown

Thank you!!! I followed evo's instructions and they worked perfectly. You made it so easy even this non-handy stay-at-home mom was able to replace the spring during my kids' naptime. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply