Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
latourrett  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:32:59 AM(UTC)
latourrett

Groups: Registered

As my wife puts it, last year we purchased a fridge that came with a free home. It's a KitchenAid KSSC48FKS00 -- stainless stell Fridge/Freezer. Anyhow, this is a great Kitchenaid Refrigerator/Freezer -- but the Fridge door has never quite closed flush with the freezer door. The top Part sticks out a little (1/4 inch). The door seems to seal -- but it seems that you have to press a little extra to make it seal. The door seal has obviously adapted to this door position -- the top part of the seal is almost fully expanded, while the bottom part of the seal is compressed as we're used to seeing. Looking at the hinges, it doesn't look like there's a fine tune way to adjust the door -- and not sure if there is. Again, the bottom of the door is flush with the freezer door (looks normal), but the top part of the door sticks out a little and even if you push in, it just flexes back out to the position it wants to hold (which is out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch). With this, it looks like the cant is not that far off, but tough to tell. Is there an adjustment on these types of Fridge/Freezer units -- or do we just need to replace the seal and see if it closes flush with neutral (new seal) compression?!? It is a heavy/big door -- so nothing would surprise me -- just want to make it right so we don't have to deal with it anymore (we did have the door not close all the way once already -- and lost a couple gallons of milk that didn't quite smell right). Thanks for any help or response!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:53:14 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Part 11 on this diagram of your cabinet literature is the cam door closer. Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KSSC48FKS00 | AppliancePartsPros.com
Yours looks different from the ones I've seen before but this information may also apply to yours.
It assists in closing the door by raising the door up when opened and allowing gravity to close the door and keep it closed. Most are made of plastic and will wear out with a heavy door. Inspect both doors actions when opening and closing to see if your rise up a quarter of an inch or so.
latourrett  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:28:23 AM(UTC)
latourrett

Thanks for the response. As I look at the door action -- there isn't a 'rise' in the door at all. Inspecting that part -- it is solid metal, yet there's a plastic bushing underneath it. Nothing looks worn, per se (I know, that's not always the truth). Do you know if there are adjustments that can be made -- i.e. to the lower hinge?!? Or are these doors pretty much 'as is' when it comes to installing them? As I look at the door (from a side angle) I can now notice that the lower portion of the door is in fact not flush with the freezer door -- it is 'sunk in' a bit in relation. So in fact the entire door is canted a bit when it's shut (and maybe when it's open too -- but it's just more obvious when it's shut).
latourrett attached the following image(s):
Fridge Door1.jpg
Fridge Door2.jpg
latourrett  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 3:29:27 PM(UTC)
latourrett

If anyone has seen this or has any insight on 'adjusting doors' -- or if they think replacing the seal will potentially fix the problem please chime in. I'm open for any ideas -- because frankly I'm out. I just don't want to jump in too deep --- but I also don't want to spend $200 for a new door seal if someone knows that the problem is in fact deeper or different then this! Thanks!
denman  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 3:45:22 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the install instructions, it covers door adjustments.
http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Installation%20Instructions%20-%202215852.pdf

Also if the hinge side gasket is grabbing to the frame and twisting, a little vaseline along this side will help it slide/seal better.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2009 3:32:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You also can adjust the front feet to lean back the door which will help it close. Use duck tape to force the door closed where it needs to. Leave on overnight, then take it off, this should fix the problem.
tonymogle@comcast.net  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:46:55 AM(UTC)
tonymogle@comcast.net

did you ever figure out a fix to this problem? I have the same model refrigerator and looking at your pics have the same issue

Thanks,

Tony
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 9:29:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have the exact same model only my problem is the freezer side sticks out to far. Any resolution?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply