Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
B*Luxx  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:01:58 AM(UTC)
B*Luxx

Groups: Registered

Old Maytag washer (Model LA612 Series 04) stops spinning with any size load. Spins for maybe 10 seconds and then stops. I can still hear the timer ticking as it continues through the cycle. If I try again after a little while, it will spin again for another 10 sec. I can smell a subtle burning smell after a few attempts. Also, if I take out all the clothes and as much water as possible, it will spin much longer (I think through the entire cycle).

Is the motor dying?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

splumer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:58:01 AM(UTC)
splumer

Originally Posted by: B*Luxx Go to Quoted Post
Old Maytag washer (Model LA612 Series 04) stops spinning with any size load. Spins for maybe 10 seconds and then stops. I can still hear the timer ticking as it continues through the cycle. If I try again after a little while, it will spin again for another 10 sec. I can smell a subtle burning smell after a few attempts. Also, if I take out all the clothes and as much water as possible, it will spin much longer (I think through the entire cycle).

Is the motor dying?

Could be the clutch. I replaced mine recently. If the clutch is spinning but not grabbing, the burning smell could be the pads heating up from friction.
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:18:38 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Check if the washer is draining. Is the pump and transmission pulleys can be easily turn by hand in both directions?
Will the motor run without both belts?
Does it get really hot?

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
B*Luxx  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:26:58 PM(UTC)
B*Luxx

Washer is draining. All pulleys spin by hand relatively easily. I assume the transmission pulley is the big one centered under the tub (I haven't raised or tipped the unit -- just feeling around under there).

Removed the belts and the motor seems to run fine. Belts seemed kind of loose, but maybe that's because they're not engaged when the unit is off (?).

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: washer drains after I empty all the clothes and as much water as I can. Then I can get it to spin and drain the remainder of the water.

Edit2: Replaced belts and Pump belt seems very loose, main drive belt seems just taut. Running a small load and it appears to be working.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:30:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Adjust the pump belt tension as described in the attached file.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Pump belt adjustment.doc (51kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply