Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DaHadster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:19:30 AM(UTC)
DaHadster

Groups: Registered

Sorry to post another "Fridge not cooling" thread, but I haven't been able to fix the problem. About 3 months ago, we noticed some water on the ground and the fridge felt warm and fruit/veggies were spoiling very quickly. There was ice in the freezer, based on what I read here I thought the defrost timer and defrost thermostat was the problem. Ordered both, plus the EVAP fan motor and blade (because it was making noise). I unplugged the fridge, let it completely thaw. Cleaned her thoroughly (with a bit of bleach and water) and replaced the defrost timer and defrost thermostat but I returned the fan motor (the noise was just ice build up or styrafoam hitting the blade - I re-seated it and it was fine).

Seemed to work okay for the last month (still never got as cool as I would have liked) and again it is feeling warm and food is spoiling. There is NO ice at all formed in the freezer (freezer actually feels fine, but the thermostat I put in there says otherwise). I hear the compressor kick in, sounds okay. What's the next step to the problem? I've got both the freezer and fridge temps set to 9 now and it hasn't gotten any cooler in either compartment.

Thermostat says about 15 deg F in the freezer and 52 deg F in the fridge.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:54:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Make sure the condenser is clean and the fan next to the compressor works fine.

Remove the rear panel inside the freezer and check how the evaporator is covered with frost. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric PTC22SBMARBS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
P.S. Set the refrigerator control to 9 while the freezer control should be set to 2 or 3.
DaHadster  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:17:17 AM(UTC)
DaHadster

Thanks for the reply Gene. Been pretty busy but will get to it this week.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:06:41 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.
One of the possibilities is that the condenser is clogged with dirt and lint.It's under the fridge.
Open the evaporator coils. See if they frosting evenly and completely.
Check the condenser motor.

Thank you.

Simon.
DaHadster  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:49:38 PM(UTC)
DaHadster

Been a while, but I popped open the fridge. There was frost (not a ton of it) on the coils and ice had formed around the fan keeping it from moving. Water was also dripping into the fridge section. Is it possible I didn't install the defrost thermostat properly? Or maybe it's the actual defrost heating element?
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 10:34:35 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Most likely you have there a frozen condensation drain underneath the evaporator. Defrost and clear it. Use the blow dryer, hot water and patience.
Defrost the fridge and check the refrigerator door seal.

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
DaHadster  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 3:28:22 PM(UTC)
DaHadster

Hi Simon,

I had a few hours to kill so I troubleshooted this some more. As you said, the drain was clogged. Took hot water, vacuum with tiny hose attachment and finally some bleach to clear out. I was beginning to think maybe the heating element (defrost heater?) was bad, but I turned the defrost timer dial to defrost mode and saw it glowing red a few minutes later.

A few hours after I plugged the sucker in, the thermometer read -2 C. I've never seen the fridge that low, I was so elated. I reduced the temp setting to "5" from 8 and checked back this morning - it was at 1-2 deg C (I really need a F thermometer!). Figured, just above freezing temp = perfect.

However, I just got home after work and it's now closer to 4 deg C. I opened the freezer and through the grate in the front I can see a bunch of frost around the coils closest to the door. About 3 months ago I changed the defrost timer and thermostat (got them from this site). Do you think the timer is bad? I think it's a 10 hour cool, 1 hour defrost timer? Maybe I can set a timer/alarm and check back to make sure? Or could it be the thermostat? I didn kinda of a shoddy job splicing it, but right now I'm guessing it's the timer.

Thanks!