Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rod smith  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:19:07 PM(UTC)
Rod smith

Groups: Registered

The door on my dishwasher drop like a lead balloon.
I've replaced the springs but that didn't help.
So i bought the door hinge support since I noticed one end was stripped out where the hinge screws on to it. The new support didn't come with the screws and they are not in the parts picture or list. These screws are not your everyday HomeDepot screws they are self tapping with a head about as big as a penny and a torx slot. I need to know where and how to get these screws.

Thanks,
Rod
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:09:21 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

I am curious is the door still opening and closing? If it does, have you tried moving the springs back to another slot on the lower frame for added tension? With both springs attached and connected on about the middle slot, the door should balance when partially opened. Give that a try before going to far with a a repair.
Rod smith  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:16:43 AM(UTC)
Rod smith

The door does open and close fine, it just feels very heavy and drops like there were no springs.
I did try to adjust the springs from the middle all the way to the back notch(the tightest one) but the door still drops down very hard when you open it.
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:21:23 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Just some basic clarification questions, but they are new springs and they looked like the old springs? When you say notch, you are talking about the ones in the bottom frame rail and the back notch is back near the rear leveling legs? With both springs connected that far back, I would expect the door to close by itself and not lay open unless the lower rack was holding it down. Did anything else change on this unit like a door panel or maybe someone accidentally tripped on the open door? I would like to say this is a complex setup, but it really isn't and if the door closes properly, all we are dealing with is spring tension to balance the weight of the door.
Rod smith  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:07:11 PM(UTC)
Rod smith

Originally Posted by: TechnicianBrian Go to Quoted Post
Just some basic clarification questions, but they are new springs and they looked like the old springs? When you say notch, you are talking about the ones in the bottom frame rail and the back notch is back near the rear leveling legs? With both springs connected that far back, I would expect the door to close by itself and not lay open unless the lower rack was holding it down. Did anything else change on this unit like a door panel or maybe someone accidentally tripped on the open door? I would like to say this is a complex setup, but it really isn't and if the door closes properly, all we are dealing with is spring tension to balance the weight of the door.

I have answered this twice and haven't had a reply can someone please help me?
The springs I ordered and put in were identical to the ones I took out and I did finally put them in the furthest back slot on the lower frame. the door still doesn't balance open, it dros fairly hard
Rod smith  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:10:33 PM(UTC)
Rod smith

I understand this is not a complex set up. I am actually fairly mechanically inclined this one has me baffled.
I do'nt think anyone tripped over it but it is possible
TechnicianBrian  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:26:22 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

OK, maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle. In your first post, you said the door dropped "like a lead balloon". So you ordered springs and they didn't help. Did anything change from one day to the next that may account for the sudden change in the door? You didn't mention either spring or spring linkage was broken so we should be able to rule them out. When the door is closed the hinge should be horizontal and perpendicular to the door. When the door is fully open, it should be horizontal and perpendicular to the tub front. The inside of the door has an insulation blanket that could absorb water and add extra weight to the door. You may want to remove the outer panel and see if maybe the vent or dispenser has been leaking and the blanket is now soaked. Remove the lower screws on the inner door and the panel will slide down and off from a couple tabs. As you have noted, not much to it so if everything checks out, I am out of answers
Rod smith  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:26:07 PM(UTC)
Rod smith

The springs and linkage were fine I thought that since the door was dropping like it is that maybe the springs went bad.My wife now says that my son did trip over the open door about the time this problem started(always the last to know). The hinges do line up correctly but the door does sit a little farther down than horizontal to the floor. I do still need the screws for the hinge support. I can't find where to get them. They didn't come with the hinge suppot and they are not on the parts picture or list. They re not your everyday Home Depot screws, they are self tapping with a head about as big as a penny and a torx slot. One of the original screws is stripped.

Rod
TechnicianBrian  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:33:18 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

I haven't been able to locate a part number that I know for sure is correct for those screws. I am checking some other places, and may even be able to get some off an old machine. Will let you know what I find out.
Rod smith  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 7:33:49 AM(UTC)
Rod smith

Thank You
You've been great!

Rod
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply