Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmsmith  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:18:44 AM(UTC)
rmsmith

Groups: Registered

I have a rather newish Kenmore Elite 665.13922K010. It has been leaking from the diverter motor, W10056349, which has been replaced by W10155344. The problem is the seal that the diverter motor rests against, which basically a 3/4" rubber washer with a spring behind it. I just ordered a replacement diverter motor, but I can't see that the seal is included; the exploded diagram didn't have a complete breakout.

Q: Is the seal included?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:17:01 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

I am having the same problem. The description doesn't specify what is included, but because that seal isn't listed separately most likely it's included.

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
rmsmith  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 10:38:00 AM(UTC)
rmsmith

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

I am having the same problem. The description doesn't specify what is included, but because that seal isn't listed separately most likely it's included.

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.

I just received the Diverter Motor, W10155344, and the seal is NOT included. This is just wrong because the seal is what caused the Diverter Motor to fail. It looks like I will rely on some automotive silicone the help create an effective seal against the thrust face portion.

Home appliances are really made like "chit" these days.
Adam / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 12:47:44 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Originally Posted by: rmsmith Go to Quoted Post
I just received the Diverter Motor, W10155344, and the seal is NOT included. This is just wrong because the seal is what caused the Diverter Motor to fail. It looks like I will rely on some automotive silicone the help create an effective seal against the thrust face portion.

Home appliances are really made like "chit" these days.

The seal is incorporated into the sump housing.

See Part number: AP4324823
rmsmith  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:52:17 PM(UTC)
rmsmith

We have run the dishwasher twice now, and all is perfectly dry; I have a flat piece of cardboard slid beneath the center of the dishwasher.

The fix: I sparingly smeared a light lubricant around the rotating shaft that fits through the center of the seal to prevent the silicone from sticking to it. Then I spread automotive silicone carefully around the neck that supports the rotating shaft of the diverter motor and rests against the face of the seal. I also spread silicone on the face of the seal to insure good adhesion between the two pieces. I let it dry overnight.
Adam / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:40:37 AM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Originally Posted by: rmsmith Go to Quoted Post
We have run the dishwasher twice now, and all is perfectly dry; I have a flat piece of cardboard slid beneath the center of the dishwasher.

The fix: I sparingly smeared a light lubricant around the rotating shaft that fits through the center of the seal to prevent the silicone from sticking to it. Then I spread automotive silicone carefully around the neck that supports the rotating shaft of the diverter motor and rests against the face of the seal. I also spread silicone on the face of the seal to insure good adhesion between the two pieces. I let it dry overnight.

Glad you were able to get your dishwasher fixed.

If you need anything else please let us know.

Thank you for choosing AppliancePartsPros.com.
r3williams  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:46:30 AM(UTC)
r3williams

I had the same problem with a leaking diverter motor (actually not even functioning) and leaking around the sump seal. To fix this problem, I bought a new diverter. The leads for the diverter motor were so corroded on one set of wire terminals that I had to take apart the diverter motor and solder the wires right to the diverter switch terminals....keeping polarity intact with the wires. I did not know where find a new terminal connector for the wires. The more important part was the seal. It CAN be removed from the bottom of the sump on the Kitchenaid dishwashers just by popping it out with a screwdriver. I then used some silicone plumbers grease and coated it very well and pressed it back into place. Reinstalled the motor and hooked it back up. Works like a champ now. The design is a poor one and it seems hot water will eventually melt out the grease seal. I always wondered why the dishes weren't getting clean any longer and didn't associate that with a failed diverter motor.
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:49:41 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Thank you for shearing you experience with us.

Simon.
HazZ  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:04:52 PM(UTC)
HazZ

To fix the water leak on my Whirlpool Gold 3600xtvy2, I removed the diverter motor assembly and removed the seal from the bottom of the sump housing.

When slid in place onto the diverter motor shaft groove, the seal was a little wobbly. I noticed the tensioning spring on the inside of the seal had one distorted wrap.

I removed the spring and bought a comparably sized o-ring at my local hardware store that slipped nicely into the back side of the seal. The o-ring increased the seal's tension on the diverter motor shaft groove and eliminated the wobbling.

I reinstalled the seal into the sump housing and remounted the diverter motor to the bottom of the sump housing. Test ran the dishwater and find no leaks.

I'll keep an eye on it, but buying a thirty-cent o-ring sure beats paying for a new sump housing, which is what my local appliance parts store said would be necessary for me to get the new seal.
garret2600  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:22:57 AM(UTC)
garret2600

I've had the same problem with a Kitchenaid dishwasher (kude70FVSS2). After a little research it looks like the infamous washer was installed upside down. The groove should fit over motor housing to better seal. Post on fixya has pictures. I had to order new diverter motor and wiring harness as leak corroded circuit board and connector into nothing. I plan on snipping connector from replacement wiring harness and wiring into existing so i don't have to tear entire dishwasher apart and replace all harness connections. Found parts on auction sites so not out to much money. Very angry with manufacturer. Seems like intentional obsolesce.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply