Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoeP  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:14:09 PM(UTC)
JoeP

Groups: Registered

I have this small refrigerator out in the garage and and the refrigerator seems to work fine and stays between 38 and 41 degrees but the freezer is at about 29 degrees and will not freeze food. This I think should be around 0 to 10 degrees. Where is the the temp sensor for this model and could this cause the problem? This refrigerator has always run very quiet and is hard to tell if things are running or not but I believe the fan is running and can feel the compressor run.

When I went out to get the model number I got a wild hair and took the cover off with the thermostat on the right side of the fridge where the door closes and hits the switch and everything there seems to be fine. I did notice that the compressor kicked on and the temp in the freezer dropped rapidly after I replaced the cover. Whats behind this cover that could cause the temperature to remain constant in the fridge and and keep the freezer warmer than it should? Thermostat? Door Switch? Something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:28:08 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What's the average temperature in the garage?
JoeP  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:04:20 PM(UTC)
JoeP

Currently about 40 degrees during the day and about 35 at night. The freezer did get to about -16 degrees when the compressor came on last night but tonight when I came home from work the temp was back up to +18 and currently is at 25 degrees. I did read on a british forum page before I found this one yesterday that the temperature in the garage may be causing this. Could this be the cause?
JoeP  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:07:33 PM(UTC)
JoeP

This post was in error
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2007 12:31:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

The only way to fix this is replacing the cold control with a constant differential control (ambient control) Part # 3030-505 (26238).
JoeP  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2007 10:54:53 AM(UTC)
JoeP

Is this because of the garage temperatures or is it a failure with the part. I have to ask because the part cost more then what I paid for the fridge.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2007 12:46:20 PM(UTC)
richappy

Your present cold control will not perform at low ambient temperatures. Also, be aware, the low temperatures may damage the compressor and make it hard starting, oil tends to congeal at temperatures below say 35 degrees.
JoeP  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2007 6:28:40 PM(UTC)
JoeP

So even if I change the cold control I still have the potential for more problems. I'll just move it into the house until I get my garage heater installed in January. Besides it gives me one more reason to tell my wife why I need the heater in the garage .