Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mgfranz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:49:45 AM(UTC)
mgfranz

Groups: Registered

About a month ago, the ice maker on my frs26wrc stopped making ice, almost like the water valve was shut off. Yesterday I noticed that the freezer was not freezing, only getting cold, the inside temp was 40 this morning. The cooler part seems to be working fine, although it seems like it could be colder than it is.

I checked the water valve to ensure it was on, I did a good cleaning of the lines for the ice-maker, there was nothing blocking them. There is no build up of frost or anything to indicate there was any problems other than the freezer not getting down to 0.

Any ideas before I have to have a massive BBQ with all this defrosting meat?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 2:04:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for FRS26WRC models | AppliancePartsPros.com
Your model number seems to be short several digits.

Also I cannot find any tech info on a FRS26WRC but we may not need it.

First check that the condenser/compressor fan and the evaporator/freezer fan are running.
Then check that the compressor is running. You can usually hear it but you should also be able to feel it vibrating and it should be warm.

If the above are running then remove the cover from inside the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.
If they only have frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) or no frost then you have a sealed system problem.
Be sure that the unit has run for a couple hours because if you do this check shortly after a defrost cycle you will mis-diagnose the problem.

If it is a sealed system problem it will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

If you find the coils are heavily iced/frosted over then you have a defrost problem and that should not be too expensive to repair as you can do it yourself and the parts are not too expensive.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mgfranz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:38:10 AM(UTC)
mgfranz

I pulled the back panel to check for frost, here are pics of the results.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have disconnected the defrost sensor to see if it might be bad, it has only ran for about a half hour but I will post results later.
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:07:57 PM(UTC)
denman

Sorry, double post
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:09:14 PM(UTC)
denman

You do not have a defrost problem as your coils are clean.

It almost looks like it did a defrost recently.
It looks like it is starting to frost up but it is hard to tell from the picture.
Yes, let it run for a couple hours and then recheck the frost pattern.

I am assuming that the compressor is running and that it was also running when you had the problem earlier.
mgfranz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:20:02 PM(UTC)
mgfranz

Yes, the compressor is running and operating warm, all the fans are functioning as well. I put thermometers in the unit this morning, (about 6 hours ago), the freezer is holding steady at 32° and the fridge is at 41°. This is with the temp control knobs at just a couple ticks past center.

All the coils are clean on the outside, however there is a small amount of water underneath the condenser fan, not much, maybe a couple teaspoons if that. Could the fact that the ice maker is not being supplied any water be a factor or is that a separate issue?
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:01:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Your fresh food temperature looks pretty good, it should be about 40.
The freezer though is still too warm it should be 0 to 5 degrees.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Could the fact that the ice maker is not being supplied any water be a factor or is that a separate issue?[/COLOR]
That should not effect it.

What do the evaporator coils look like this AM.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost.
What you are trying to figure out is if the unit has a sealed system problem.
This is one diagnostic that you do not want to get wrong as a sealed system problem is an expensive repair as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

I am assuming that the compressor runs continuously re: the unit is trying to get down to set point but cannot for some reason.

Here is a good link
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html

Take a look at #20 and then the example pictures part way down that page.

If the evaporator coils look good then check the door seals perhaps there is a massive leak.