Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mhickmon  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:12:53 AM(UTC)
mhickmon

Groups: Registered

My washer keeps diplaying the error code oL. I checked the manual and it is definetly not oveloaded. It will fill, drain and spin, but not agitate. I have a repair man coming next week, but my husband and I are pretty handy and I would like to try to figure out what is wrong so that the repair man doesn't have to try to troubleshoot it.
Anyone have any experience with this model and how to troubleshoot this problem? I have read several different posts covering the water level switch and hose, to possible issues with the motor control. We don't know where to start.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ktm520  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:37:56 PM(UTC)
ktm520

I had the same problem getting the OL error and finally, after replacing several un-needed parts, found out how to fix it. So if your have the Kenmore Oasis or the Whirlpool Calypso, then read this before buying any parts.
OK, first off lets define what OL really stands for. Most people think it means "Over Load", but it actually stands for "Outa Luck" because every time I would replace a part that was suppose to fix the problem I would still get the "Outa Luck" error. So after buying a new "wire harness & motor control" for $100 and a new "Electronic control" for $200, I finally dug in and started ripping the machine apart to figure it out.
What I found out is that there is a critical function I kept reading about but did not exactly know what it actually meant, and that is that the basket needs to "float". Floating is when the tub fills up with water to a certain level the outter basket will rise about 1 inch from the center agitator. What this does is disengage the basket from the motor so that the agitator can rotate independently from the basket. If the basket does not float then when it trys to agitate the whole basket will turn back and forth at the same speed as the agitaor and this will cause the OL error code. The reason it gives the OL code is because if you pile too many clothes in the washer then it can keep the basket from floating properly.
I was getting the OL error even when there was only 2 small items in the washer, so it was not floating for some other reason besides being overloaded. You can check to see if the basket is floating freely by grabbing the inside top lip of the basket on both sides and pull up and if the basket raises about 1 inch then it is ok. But if it does not raise then you know there is a problem.
To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it,

1. Unplug the power cord
2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.
3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn't get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.
4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outter edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.
5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pryed off with a small screwdriver.
6. Remove the center screw under the cap.
7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.
8. Remove the 6 phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don't drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.
9. Remove the plastic top gear.
10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.
11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outter lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.
12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.
13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. I had to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inned bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.
14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

I hope this saves some people a lot of aggrivation and money.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...n-off.html#ixzz1QL17x5lV
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
mhickmon  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:01:02 PM(UTC)
mhickmon

Originally Posted by: ktm520 Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem getting the OL error and finally, after replacing several un-needed parts, found out how to fix it. So if your have the Kenmore Oasis or the Whirlpool Calypso, then read this before buying any parts.

OK, first off lets define what OL really stands for. Most people think it means "Over Load", but it actually stands for "Outa Luck" because every time I would replace a part that was suppose to fix the problem I would still get the "Outa Luck" error. So after buying a new "wire harness & motor control" for $100 and a new "Electronic control" for $200, I finally dug in and started ripping the machine apart to figure it out.
What I found out is that there is a critical function I kept reading about but did not exactly know what it actually meant, and that is that the basket needs to "float". Floating is when the tub fills up with water to a certain level the outter basket will rise about 1 inch from the center agitator. What this does is disengage the basket from the motor so that the agitator can rotate independently from the basket. If the basket does not float then when it trys to agitate the whole basket will turn back and forth at the same speed as the agitaor and this will cause the OL error code. The reason it gives the OL code is because if you pile too many clothes in the washer then it can keep the basket from floating properly.
I was getting the OL error even when there was only 2 small items in the washer, so it was not floating for some other reason besides being overloaded. You can check to see if the basket is floating freely by grabbing the inside top lip of the basket on both sides and pull up and if the basket raises about 1 inch then it is ok. But if it does not raise then you know there is a problem.
To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it,

1. Unplug the power cord
2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.
3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn't get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.
4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outter edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.
5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pryed off with a small screwdriver.
6. Remove the center screw under the cap.
7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.
8. Remove the 6 phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don't drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.
9. Remove the plastic top gear.
10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.
11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outter lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.
12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.
13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. I had to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inned bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.
14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

I hope this saves some people a lot of aggrivation and money.

thanks for all the info...we checked the basket and it floats freely. Not sure that I want to take it all apart if that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any other ideas as to what it maybe? Possbily one of the motor control or electronic control?
AlDee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:08:34 PM(UTC)
AlDee

I am getting this error, and it does look like the floating tub was a bit corroded to the shaft, but the machine has been making more and more noise during the spin cycle, and now quits in the middle of it with the oL code, even with no clothes in. It looks like some grease is seeping in to the tub, and I noticed a spiral splatter underneath, so I suspect the seal and bearings are going. Can anyone tell me if this is a feasible repair, and what I will need to replace? I had to replace the control board a few months ago, so I'm wondering if it's worth fixing, or time to move on.
Maggied1973  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 9:16:46 PM(UTC)
Maggied1973

Want to thank you immensely for your instructions for repairing the ol error code problem. To others with the same problem, follow these instructions word for word and save yourself a lot of many. Precise step by step and accurate expectations of problem. Thanks again!
Markram  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:12:10 PM(UTC)
Markram

I have a possible solution to your OL error code situation. I have run into this problem several times in my job. I am an appliance repair technician.

One issue these washers can have are the support rods becoming bent. If even one of the support rods gets slightly bent, then your washer will do this no matter what you replace.

It is of course wise to check to see if basket floats free when water enters tub. Another issue is the RPS sensor. RPS=Rotor Position Sensor. It is a little sensor on the stator which is located on the bottom of the wash tub beneath the rotor. That rotor and stator are what is called the motor with this unit.

I have seen it be the control board also, but less frequently. You can remove the panel (with unit unplugged) then look at the back of the control board and without touching any wires, plug unit back in... if there is a green LED light lit on the back of control board, it is considered good - according to Whirlpool - who makes this unit most of the time.

But, do check the support rods, I just had one this week and it was bent... replaced them all and it cleared the error.

The other reason for an OL error is out of balance load. If your load is out of balance it will give you the OL error code....

Good luck
Markram  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:16:00 PM(UTC)
Markram

Originally Posted by: AlDee Go to Quoted Post
I am getting this error, and it does look like the floating tub was a bit corroded to the shaft, but the machine has been making more and more noise during the spin cycle, and now quits in the middle of it with the oL code, even with no clothes in. It looks like some grease is seeping in to the tub, and I noticed a spiral splatter underneath, so I suspect the seal and bearings are going. Can anyone tell me if this is a feasible repair, and what I will need to replace? I had to replace the control board a few months ago, so I'm wondering if it's worth fixing, or time to move on.

There is a bearing repair kit that you can purchase, but if you do not have experience in repairing appliances I would not recommend it. We sometimes replace the entire outer tub as opposed to the bearing, as if the repair is not done well, it will not seal properly.

I would suggest calling a repair service if you are not experienced with repairing appliances, it can get tricky and quite involved.
zhou69dd1990  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:16:55 PM(UTC)
zhou69dd1990

wrote:

Automobile bigger blogging u s is commonly a number of different instrument that allows a working man and some women to explore be able to get income from start to finish specialized niche bigger and bigger blogging locale Automobile site samurai can be the case a home-based marketing that is always incredibly powerful and effective It promises to understand more about create,decide to put all the way and also make to keep in mind concerning personal material and for all your family members personally. Working allowing you to have this in the shadows,all your family may in the shortest time construct the content that your family want and after that submit element on article directory sites these all all your family members select to understand more about may have and they have discovered and then for you personally passive earning. Passive earning would be the fact some of the thing that all your family members you should also consider to start off having all over the stipulations concerning crafting and posting the content pieces materials throughout the most of the WordPress well Blogger web page and after that your family keep going to be the content to learn more about generate income along with everyone on normal basis.Autoblog samurai could be the electronic computer software that one of the more generates automatic topic material. It also makes it a simple matter design an important phrases that can be the case used and for manufacturing your content materials end up being all over the top rated positions everywhere over the all kinds of other engines a little as though search engines Bu working providing some one this in addition instrument,your family can also create an inventory regarding search phrases all of which you you should also consider for more information about you will need to and consumers variety all over the to engines a little as though the major search engines as well as example Search engines utilize them and achieve they can be the case are you in need for more information about inspection rewards going to be the advertiser .. You may consist to do with a few of these a crucial phrases if you'd like to explore tweak your website property and be able to get an all in one greater ranking and for aspect back and forth from your a lot of those engines like google You ales center of attention all over the these search conditions so that they know what your consumers are everywhere in the search of.Related articles: womens air max 95-Wella Color Charm Liquid Toner R Desideratum Poem of up to Read going to be the Desiderata Daily
Hector Menendez  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:38:47 AM(UTC)
Hector Menendez

"11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outter lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off."

On my washer the basket did not simply pull off as there was corrosion (rust) build up. With the basket hub removed I used a pipe wrench to grab the teeth of the drive shaft while rotating the basket and pulling up on the basket to free it from the drive shaft.
clarker12409  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:29:44 AM(UTC)
clarker12409

Originally Posted by: Markram Go to Quoted Post
I have a possible solution to your OL error code situation. I have run into this problem several times in my job. I am an appliance repair technician.

One issue these washers can have are the support rods becoming bent. If even one of the support rods gets slightly bent, then your washer will do this no matter what you replace.

It is of course wise to check to see if basket floats free when water enters tub. Another issue is the RPS sensor. RPS=Rotor Position Sensor. It is a little sensor on the stator which is located on the bottom of the wash tub beneath the rotor. That rotor and stator are what is called the motor with this unit.

I have seen it be the control board also, but less frequently. You can remove the panel (with unit unplugged) then look at the back of the control board and without touching any wires, plug unit back in... if there is a green LED light lit on the back of control board, it is considered good - according to Whirlpool - who makes this unit most of the time.

But, do check the support rods, I just had one this week and it was bent... replaced them all and it cleared the error.

The other reason for an OL error is out of balance load. If your load is out of balance it will give you the OL error code....

Good luck

Okay so I ran a diagnostic on my washer and received no error codes or fail codes however it will not stop giving me the error code oL when I run a load in the washer even if its empty. WHat else do I need to do to stop getting this error code? Please I need some suggestions. I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis 110.28042701
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply