Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bradform  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:27:12 AM(UTC)
bradform

Groups: Registered

I am having a problem with my Kenmore Side-by Side Refrigerator. It is a model number: 596.51673100, Serial Number: 10791902AR. The refrigerator started to give us issues 2-3 years back when it stopped cooling 2-3 different times. I’m not sure if this makes sense, but a repair man my neighbor knows told us to press the light switch on the door 7-8 times to reset the internal computer. This seemed to work for a while, then the refrigerator quit working all together (both freezer and refrigerator). The repair man told me that if it went out some day, it would be the control board behind the refrigerator and freezer control knobs. I purchased the board behind control, [part number, AP4014734 (12566102), Board, adapt defrost]. After replacing the board, the refrigerator would come on for a few seconds, and then trip the breaker on the wall plug when the door opened. It would also sometimes trip the breaker on the wall socket when you just plugged it in. Anyone have any ideas? Did I get the wrong part or is there something else wrong with the unit?

Morris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bradform  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:06:36 AM(UTC)
bradform

Update....I ran an extension cord so the plug breaker would not trip to rule out that issue. The fridge mow has consistent power with the lights on and the fan running in the back of the unit. However, I cannot hear any other activity and the unit does not seem to be cooling at all. I can feel the air coming from the fan being blown into the unit, but it does not feel like it's cooling. Anyone have an idea what it could be or what I need to check? Thanks.

Morris
bradform  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 1:36:27 PM(UTC)
bradform

Anyone who can help me on this issue? I would be very grateful if you could please point me in the right direction.
bradform  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:13:15 PM(UTC)
bradform

Still in need of assistance. Could someone help me out?
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:49:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Feel the compressor in the back, is it warm and vibrating, or just hot, or cold?
bradform  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:22:45 AM(UTC)
bradform

Sorry for the slow response, I did not know anyone replied. The compresser is cold and not vibrating at all. The only noise is from the internal fan somewhere in the middle of the unit.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:09:31 PM(UTC)
richappy

You probably have a shorted compressor that is burning out the adaptive defrost board. I would use a ohmeter and check the compressor for shorts to ground.
bradform  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:19:28 PM(UTC)
bradform

I have an ommeter, could you tell me how to go about checking the compressor for shorts to ground? Thank you so much for the response.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:53:34 PM(UTC)
richappy

Use the highest resistance scale and check each compressor pin to ground, any resistance will confirm a leakage path.
Also, you can check the blown adaptive defrost board for a fused open ribbon which sometimes can be repaired easily.