Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 8:13:13 AM(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered

I have a problem that, judging from other repair forums, seems to be a common one. When I push the Start button, the dryer starts up and the heat goes on. As soon as I let go of the button, though, the dryer stops.

I've swapped in a new Even Heat Control board (part #279903), and swapped the heater relay and motor relay (both seem to work fine), but still have the same problem.

Any other suggestions of what to try?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Adam / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 9:31:38 AM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Dear Andy,

All I can tell you is that usually when you have to hold the push to start switch has to do with a relay or the motor itself. Some push to start switches have a relay incorporated into it. Other than that you may need a tech come to your home
Charles Joy  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 9:50:18 AM(UTC)
Charles Joy

Timer does not complete cycle except when the dryer is set on "air dry" on delicate setting. On other settings dryer shuts off after approx. 10 or 20 minutes. This dryer has a heat sensor.
Do I need a timer or a sensor? Would appreciate instructions on how to remove & install either part.
Thank you,
Charles
Adam / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 1:36:41 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Dear Charles Joy,

Does the complete dryer shut down or just the heat? If and when it shuts down, do you know at what temperature it is when is shuts down?
Andy  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 4:38:59 PM(UTC)
Andy

Thanks for your reply, Adam. In the few weeks before our dryer started acting up, it would make a kind of screeching noise when it first started up, like the belt between the motor and the drum was slipping a little. It wasn't very loud, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Could that be an indicator that there's something wrong with the motor? Since the motor works fine and the drum turns as long as the start switch is pressed, I didn't think it would be the motor. But if there's some other circuitry in there that would cause it to shut off when I let up on the switch, that could explain it.

I'd really like to fix this myself, because the cost of a service call (and whatever fix it requires) is probably more than the dryer is worth now.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 10:10:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Andy
Adam was absolutely right, there is no doubt the problem is the start winding on the motor and the motor has to be replaced. The part number for the new motor is AP3094233
To replace the motor you have to remove the blower wheel and in many times it's a lot of headache. Be prepared you'll need to break off the old one and then to replace it too. The part number for the blower wheel is AP2912089
Good luck.
Gene.
Charles Joy  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 9:25:00 AM(UTC)
Charles Joy

re: clothes dryer model #11066912690
Set dryer to go on for 50 minutes and temperature setting at middle/high range.
Ranges are: low, middle, middle/high and high.
Dryer shut off after 20 minutes. Timer was still running. Heat was shut off. Another time, dryer was set for 40 minutes and shut off after 10 minutes.
Each time dryer was restarted and the dryer completed the cycle without interruption.
If the problem is the heat sensor I would need to know how to remove & replace it.
Thank you,
Charles
Andy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:57:37 AM(UTC)
Andy

Gene, thanks very much. I was just about out of ideas. Before I buy the part, is there any way I can verify for sure that the start winding is bad? I have the whole dryer disassembled, so I can remove the motor and do whatever tests are necessary.
Charles Joy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:42:59 AM(UTC)
Charles Joy

Thank you for responding to my question sent through the forum 7/30/07.
Answer did not relate to my question.
My question is do you think the heat sensor is at fault when the drum stops turning & heat goes off prior to completing the cycle while the timer still continues? If so, I need assistance in locating & replacing the sensor on my 1997 Kenmore clothes dryer model # 11066912690. Also I will need a new sensor.
Thank you,
Charles
Adam / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:10:17 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Dear Charles Joy,

To help with diagnosing your problem may require more than what can be provided without being there in person.
As mentioned above it is most likely the motor if the whole appliance shuts down but will restart after cooling off.
If your referring to any one of the thermostats or thermal fuse you can access them by pushing in the two clips located between the front and lower access panel on each end.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply