Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shaggybob2k  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:57:03 AM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

Groups: Registered

I bought a replacement impeller for the above referenced dishwasher and it has the same part number as the old broken ge part, but it doesnt sit correctly to allow the drain cover to seal. I though the collar was broken on the motor shaft, but it s the top plastipiece of the seal assembly. Any thoughts. This is too simple for it not to fit ??

I can post visuals if necessary. The old one had a much bigger seating collar.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Which parts exactly did you order and trying to install? Please provide the part numbers. Pictures may help too.

Gene.
shaggybob2k  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 2:55:26 PM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

GE Genuine Part #WD19X10029 lower impeller appliance pro part AP2618361 for Model GE GSS1800H00BB. I called GE and they said this is the part and NO modifications have been made "Sir, this is the part that came with your dishwasher when you bought it new". I have attached pics of the issue. I cant seem to slide the plasic collar that is on top of the spring (screwdriver pointing to) down and dont want to force it. GE claims the seal assemble is the same as the one it came with and there are no changes to these parts. I am obviousely missing something here- I consider myself a decent handyman/repair person- not an expert- but I have replaced the water inlet valve on this dishwasher and repaired other appliances including my stove , dryer & washing machine.
As you can see the new part sits too high and won't allow the drain cover to seat flush. Checked motor function, drain line etc..and all fine. This is a reversable motor draining system.

Anything will help at thi spoint. Don't want to spend $50 on seal assembly to find its the same issue.:confused:

Pic titles are as follows; (hopefully in that order)

as found
motorshaft
new n old up
new n old down
new w cvr
new piece
detail new
old flush cvr
spring
seal ring piece

shaggybob2k attached the following image(s):
as found.jpg
motor shaft.jpg
new n old down.jpg
new n old up.jpg
new part cvr seating.jpg
new piece.jpg
new piece detail.jpg
old part flush w cover.jpg
seal w spring.jpg
this is the part.jpg
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:34:34 PM(UTC)
Gene

This dishwasher was originally designed and made by Frigidaire. So all parts for the pump repair made by Frigidaire are much less expensive and can be used for your dishwasher. I attached the file with the pump repair instructions to this reply. Looks like the sleeve for the shaft seal can be removed. You also may want to order the new seal, made by Frigidaire, because it cost less than $5 compare to $45 for the same seal sold by GE.

- The seal Part number: AP3209244
Part number: AP3209244

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
2002 Mechanical models pump and motor repair.doc (1,370kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
shaggybob2k  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:04:02 PM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

Gene

Thank you so much for the info !!:) . The attached instruction sheet has a picture of the impeller and it IS different from the part I have. I knew the part I had wasn't correct.

Do you have the part number for the lower impeller thatis for a fridgedaire model or if you can provide a fridgeaire model I can lookup the impellers and find the correrct one. The part I need is shown in the picture on the instructions as it has the lower mounting collar area that goes over the seal assembly and will allow it to seat correctly as well as the motor shaft collar that locks in. The seal assembly I have does not leak and is in good condition.

I just need the correct lower impeller.

Thanks again for your knowledge as GE was no help.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:09:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

As you asked the following is the Frigidaire lower impeller Part number: AP2109488
Part number: AP2109488

Honestly I did not see any differences from the part pictures.

Gene.
shaggybob2k  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:36:36 PM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

Much cheaper part, but you right its the same, oh well I guess I was seeing the stem of the motor.

In the instructions you attached This carbon face half of the pump seal- this is the piece with the spring in it shown in my pic w/ the screwdriver pointing to it?? Parts appliance doesnt show this part in the diagram or in the visual pic for the seal assembly replacement piece. Is this another part I need too??

Seeing you showed me its only $5 I can't go wrong replacing the seal assembly except that I now need the tool to center the motor shaft.

Is there anyway to determine the approx year this washer was made so I can figure out if its even worth fixing at this point. Serial # is TD700019F.

I promise I'm giving up after this question.:(
shaggybob2k  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:36:37 PM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

Much cheaper part, but you right its the same, oh well I guess I was seeing the stem of the motor.

In the instructions you attached This carbon face half of the pump seal- this is the piece with the spring in it shown in my pic w/ the screwdriver pointing to it?? Parts appliance doesnt show this part in the diagram or in the visual pic for the seal assembly replacement piece. Is this another part I need too??

Seeing you showed me its only $5 I can't go wrong replacing the seal assembly except that I now need the tool to center the motor shaft.

Is there anyway to determine the approx year this washer was made so I can figure out if its even worth fixing at this point. Serial # is TD700019F.

I promise I'm giving up after this question.:(
Gene  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:43:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

It's made in October of 2002 or 1990.

That centering tool is no longer available but its not very difficult to do it without this tool. The most important is to be very careful not to scratch the inner surfaces of the seals.

Gene.
shaggybob2k  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:42:47 PM(UTC)
shaggybob2k

Ok, I can rebuild an automobile engine , but can't fix this thing, maybe not.

In the two pictures, it seems that this plastic "collar" that is above the spring and top of the carbon face half of the pump seal may in fact be the old collar from the lower impeller fused onto the motor shaft. This is the only explanation to why nothing in any diagrams or instructions show this piece and its preventing me from being able to take this thing apart.
I can't get the carbon half of the pump seal to go over the motor shaft since this piece is there.
Is there anyway to "unfuse" these two pieces if they aren't too melted/welded together?? Hard plastic, don't want to use petroleum based products. I can try chipping it off, but am afraid of damaging the motor shaft. Any thoughts.
shaggybob2k attached the following image(s):
this is the part.jpg
seal w spring.jpg