Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nancys  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:49:00 AM(UTC)
nancys

Groups: Registered

ice door would not stay closed. repair guy said problem is with ice door closer (part #1120581). Found part cheaper on line, figured could replace myself. Bought two, ours has gone out every few years-good to have a spare.

I am pretty handy. Took pictures of disassembled when repair guy was here. Not a complicated job. Closer only goes on one way. All other parts are installed properly.

Here is the problem. I put the new closer on and it does not operate properly. The closer has an arm that the ice door piece fits into. Ice door opens mechanically, bringing arm forward. There is no resistence there, so when you are done getting your ice, the arm doesn't move to close the door. Put the second new one on-see if first was defective. Same thing. On old one, tried to backwards wind the arm to see if i needed to build up resistence. Did not work. Any ideas? Closer should work like a kid's swing. Build up resistence (when you push) and should close ice door on backswing, holding the door closed until mechancially opened again. This has me puzzled!

Just in case I have actually gotten two defective units, I have orderd another couple of these closers, and will return the first two. Open to any suggestions. Worst case: have to pay the appliance guy to fix, while feeling really stupid I couldn't figure it out!

thanks for your help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:51:30 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

The part you ordered is the door delay which keeps the door from snapping shut when you release the paddle. There should be a spring (AP2998645) on the side that closes the ice door. Either the spring is missing, or broken, or the mounting tab for the door shaft is broken.
nancys  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:05:36 PM(UTC)
nancys

part i ordered and received is the closer-identical to closer that had been installed in fridge.. spring and shaft are both in good condition. the closer is what closes the ice door after dispensing the ice. Without closer attached, ice door stays in open position (therein the problem-warm room air gets into freezer, frosting up ice maker and making food thaw). Trying to determin if closers are defective, or if I need to do something to unit prior to installing closer, to maintain tension on door to keep it closed. According to kitchenaid broken out parts diagram, i am not missing any parts. Any further ideas?
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:15:53 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

OK, just to clarify, the part number you listed above as the door closer 1120581 is not what closes the door. It is a delay to prevent ice cubes from getting stuck when the ice door snaps shut. The door is held closed by a spring (AP2998645) that resides on the shaft which is the pivot point for the ice door. If the spring and shaft are in good shape, then the spring is missing a turn or is not attached to the paddle arm and thus not tensioning when the paddle is pressed.
nancys  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:05:39 AM(UTC)
nancys

the spring part you mentioned is fine...but the repair guy put the spring at the top of the ice door (on the brass part) on backwards. Now the door stays in the closed position. The delay part is not starting up when we stop pushing on the ice chute. Just sits there. What is supposed to make the ice door start to close? Could the spring on the brass door need replacing? Is that spring what causes the arm to start up? thank you for being so patient. At least now witht he door defaulting to CLOSED, we can push the ice door closed after getting ice...
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:15:49 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

The spring doesn't belong on the brass tab, but instead should be mounted on the paddle where it pivots. The photo below may shine some light on what is going wrong. And back to the problem at hand. The spring is what closes the door and keeps it closed. The delay is to keep the door from snapping shut by applying drag causing the door to close slowly. It has nothing to do with the door closing or staying closed. The spring is the only component that closes the door when you release the paddle and it also holds the door shut. The spring is either broken, or in the wrong place.
TechnicianBrian attached the following image(s):
door delay.jpg
nancys  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 9:29:47 AM(UTC)
nancys

on the back of the brass piece, at the top (you have to take the whole thing apart to see it), there is another spring, that actually holds the door closed. The one at the side of the white piece that you show is used to spring that white piece back into place after you take your glass away after getting ice. That is the motion that should cause the delay device to start up. There is just not a motion that either from the white part moving back into place, nor that brass shaft starts the delay motion. The door doesn't snap back into place, just goes back into place, staying closed (becasue of the spring behind the brass plate). WIthout the delay device installed at all, the door closes after being opened. The delay device actually keeps the door open if you don't give it a nudge to get it to move the door. (I guess you can tell I have spent quite a lot of time with this particular repair!). The new part should be here today or tomorrow to see if the first batch were just defective. I am learning quite a bit with your help! Thanks for sticking with me on this problem.
TechnicianBrian  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 9:51:47 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

OK, so it looks like the springs are in place, the door opens and even closes, but if the delay is attached it must be nudged to get the door to close. If the delay is not attached, the door should snap shut from the spring action. So either the delay you had was stuck and would not move, or the spring (the one way up on top) is not closing the door with enough force. The door should work fine without the delay, it would just close quickly if working properly. See what the new part does and report back.
mames  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:11:17 AM(UTC)
mames

Hello Brian -

I saw your picture of the delay arm and ice chute door and springs. My chute door doesn't fully close because the white plastic guide on the delay (to which the brass arm on the door is attached) doesn't fully retract. When I detach the door from the delay, however, the door and closing springs operate perfectly. I have tried pushing the guide backward so its final resting position is closer to the back, but it is as far back as it can go. Possible fixes might include bending the brass arm forward, or removing the lock washer where the plastic guide attaches to the delay to reset the guide's position backward. Both of those seem to be workarounds, as the malfunction just recently started. What do you suggest?

Thanks!!