Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maxweenus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:03:12 PM(UTC)
maxweenus

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for looking.
I have a GE Triton Quiet Power III that USED to have a problem of not draining. Thanks to folks around here I was led to the piston-nut assembly which seems to be a common culprit and repaired it myself for $10. Win.

So that was about 3 month ago. All of a sudden, the dishwasher is not draining again?!!

A bit of a difference, the undrained water level this time is much higher. I bailed out the water and check the piston again an no wear so thats not the issue this time.

Where should I check for clogs? (i'm not too familiar with the dishwasher inner workings) Any other ideas?

If i run the DW it forces the old water out and fills with new water.
Also, it runs into the disposal.

Please help!!

Thanks
Max
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:44:38 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Can you post your model number? Some of these models use the main pump as well as a secondary drain pump for drain. If this is the case there is a check valve that must be in place or else the main pump will overpower the drain pump and simply pump most of the water back into the washer. However this only applies to models with a drain solenoid and a drain pump. You can look under the washer and see if yours has both parts. The solenoid will be on the left hand side (black solenoid with a plunger) and the pump will be on the right side of the pump. The check valve I am referring to is in the hose inside the outlet hose on the drain pump.

GE Dishwasher Not Draining Repair Guide
maxweenus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:29:48 AM(UTC)
maxweenus

Hi Applianceman, thanks for looking.
Model number is GSD5330D00WW

Its leaving literally 5 gallons of water on the bottom, When you run it again, that water will clear out and new water comes in.

Im really really hoping to troubleshoot this without pulling out the unit so any insight would GREATLY be appreciated.

Heres one more important piece of info that i just learned from my wife. The draining issue correlated with a "burning smell" per her. she just assumed it was one of the plasic baby cups on the heating coil, though never found the culprit. Since that smell, it hasnt worked.

Does that give you any ideas?

Thank You!
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2012 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If you start a cycle then press start/reset does all the water drain out? Wait for it to start washing before you reset.

Also remove the bottom front panel and when you press start/reset see if the drain solenoid plunger gets pulled down. It is the black solenoid to the left of the pump with a plunger and a spring. Sometimes these solenoids burn up and this may be what you were smelling.

Your model does seem to have the check valve I was referring to. But I am not sure why it would pump out at first then not at the end of the cycle if this were the problem.

[FONT='Times New Roman']Just to make sure we are on the same page, you say it pumps out at first then refills with new water. Do you know if it pumps all the water out before it refills. It may send some water down the drain but not be pumping fast enough.[/FONT]
tritonqp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:15:11 PM(UTC)
tritonqp

Hi,
I have the exact issue on my dishwasher. Model is GSD5620D00BB.
As maxweenus said, I also replaced the piston/nut assembly to resolve the drain issue about 6 months back. It was working fine till last week. But now leaves about 5 gallons of clean water at the end of the cycle. (I remember 6 months back when that issue came up, the remaining water used to be slightly dirty appearing like backwash. Now the remaining water is very clean which appears to be from the last rinse cycle and not from backwash.) I also smelled the mild plastic burning smell when it started acting up a week back.

- I checked the piston/nut assembly I replaced 6 months back. It looks good.
- I opened the unit, checked the hoses. Didn't find anything clogging them.
- I took out the pump (part 325), powered it up on the table with 120V and saw it running smoothly. Installed it back.
- During the cycle, I do see several gallons of water being pumped out into the garbage disposal. But at the end it leaves a lot of water inside, while the dishes are clean but not dry.
- I ran a F1 test cycle by pressing "Normal" and "Pots & Pans" together. At the end there was NO water left..! This seems to indicate pumps & hoses are all fine.
- But when I ran a regular cycle next, there was water remaining again.

Could it be the controller, not providing enough time for the pump to pump out all the water?

Will appreciate any pointers/help.
Thanks in advance.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 11:24:55 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There are a few status lights on the left side of the control panel. Did any of them were blinking at the end of the cycle?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSD5620D00BB Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
tritonqp  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:47:00 AM(UTC)
tritonqp

Gene,
Thanks for your reply. I presume you are referring to the "Washing", "Rinsing", "Sensing" green status lights.

If I run a F1 test cycle, at the end all the lights are off. There is absolutely no light that remains lit including the "clean" light.

If I run the regular cleaning cycle, the "Clean" light is on at the end, as it normally used to when functioning without issues. But now there is water left inside the tub.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:22:37 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: tritonqp Go to Quoted Post
...when I ran a regular cycle next, there was water remaining again...

Did you check it right after the cycle was finished or later?

Did you see the flapper valve when you removed the drain pump?

Gene.
tritonqp  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:03:57 PM(UTC)
tritonqp

Right after the cycle is over.
If I run the F1 test cycle (by pressing "Normal" and "Pots & Pans" together), it goes through the steps. I skip all the steps by pressing one of the keys to get to the last step where it pumps out the water for 75 seconds. When this step is complete, all the lights in the panel gets turned off (and the tub is empty since I skip the step where fresh water gets in, leaving only the remaining water from a regular cycle to be pumped out).

If I run a regular cycle, the "Clean" light alone remains lit (with water inside) at the end even hours after the cycle completion. This used to be the case even when it was working normally, as I will see this light on in the morning after turning it on for a normal run before going to bed.

When I took the drain pump out I did check the black flapper valve. It looked a bit old but not damaged. It was flexible, not stuck. So, I left it in as it is. I also checked the other flapper valve found inside the black rubber hose. That looked ok as well.

Since running the test cycle, skipping the steps and letting it run the pump 75 seconds pumps the water out, I wonder if the mechanical parts are all ok but the control is not giving the pump enough time to get the water out. But I am not sure why this would have changed on it own suddenly. Does the timer mechanism use mechanical cams where a broken cam piece could reduce the time?
Gene  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:51:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

That's strange because it does not show any error codes (blinking status lights). In order to turn off the clean light you have to open and close the door.

There is a kind of timer which operates by the control board (#904 at the diagram). GE call it "sequence switch". This is the only part which I can suspect in such situation. There are no way to test it. You have to order it, install and give it a try. You can return it If it would not fix the problem.

- The sequence switch Part number: AP2039701
Part number: AP2039701

Gene.