Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bcarolan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:07:27 PM(UTC)
bcarolan

Groups: Registered

Freezer has frozen water in bottom and periodically leaks water on floor in front. Unable to determine where water is coming from. Shut off icemaker for days to test, still leaked. HELP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:26:05 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

A correct model number would be helpful, but sounds like your defrost drain is plugged. Guessing this is a side by side, look at the lower rear panel on the freezer side and you may find there is a block of ice back there. The drain is entombed in the ice so every time the refrigerator goes into defrost, the water cannot drain and thus ends up in the bottom of the freezer. Carefully chip out as much as you can and use hot water and towels to melt the rest. Once the ice if gone, you should be able to find the drain (you may need to remove the rear panel for a better look) and poor hot water down the drain. It is also helpful to fish something down the tube to push through whatever may have started the draining problem. Once water runs smoothly down the drain and into the condensate pan underneath, you can dry everything off and put it back together.
bcarolan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:04:35 PM(UTC)
bcarolan

I defrosted the ice from around the drain in the back bottom of the freezer and the ice on the floor of the freezer. I stuck the end of a cloth into the hole and twisted it down about 2 inches and found nothing. I put it all back together and 5 hours later the water is freezing in there again. Is there another drain somewhere that I am not able to see.?
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:19:46 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

That drain runs to the condensate pan under the refrigerator. Depending on the model, that drain can be a foot or more in length so you need to snake the tube with something that will not damage the tube and also be flexible enough to make any bends in the line. I use 1/4" water line and show it all the way down until I see it come out into the pan below. If you snake the drain, you will probably find it's still frozen and needs to be cleaned out.
bcarolan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:23:03 PM(UTC)
bcarolan

thanks for all your help, I will try again ....
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 1:11:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I use a turkey baster to force boiling water down the drain. If this fails, you will have to check the other end of the drain for blockage.
bcarolan  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 4:36:21 PM(UTC)
bcarolan

thank you very much for your advice!
stephen.s1  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 12:27:20 PM(UTC)
stephen.s1

This is pretty much my problem... Mod 550. How do I thaw and keep thawed the condensate drain?

Where in the freezer does the drain line end?

TIA

Stephen
woodchuckie  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 12:53:59 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

It freezes because it doesn't drain fast enough. Get the ice out and use the turkey baster etc to clear in out till it drains quickly when you pour water in it. The drain is at the back of the freezer at the bottom just below the back cover on a side by side. It drains into a tray under the fridge.
bcarolan  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:16:55 AM(UTC)
bcarolan

Yes, your advice was very helpful! Things are fine now and I really appreciate everyone!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply