Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Megaman002  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 11:45:17 AM(UTC)
Megaman002

Groups: Registered

Dishwasher 66513752K601 keeps blowing the thermal fuse. (Bi-Metal W10258275). I have replaced the Thermal fuse several times. After i replace the fuse for some reason after a few months or less it will blow it out again. I have also replaced the front panel assembly after it stopped working correctly. I would like to know how to test the dishwasher to find out the root cause of the fuse issue. I don't want to be replacing the fuse every time and don't have the $$ to buy a new dishwasher. Everything else seems to work fine. It looks like several people are having the same issue with the fuse but none have mentioned that they are replacing it several times. Not sure why I would need to use the wiring harness that comes with the fuse. Would this be an issue since I did not use that harness and why? Would water temperature also be an issue? The vents seems to vent fine.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 1:08:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I hope you can find answers on all your questions in the attached document.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Thermal Cut Off (TCO) kits.pdf (578kb) downloaded 470 time(s).
Megaman002  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:37:49 PM(UTC)
Megaman002

Thanks for the info. It still does not say clearly what the problem may be. I will install using the cables and see what happens. Will update later.
bustoutfunk  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 9:43:47 AM(UTC)
bustoutfunk

Hi megaman. What was the result of your problem. I am debating whether to replace the wiring that comes with the kit or just put in a new fuse...I am getting mixed response...

Also, the document posted states the following:

The temperature control circuit should be analyzed for proper operation and corrected.

How would one go about doing this?

Thanks.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 5:00:03 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: bustoutfunk Go to Quoted Post
Hi megaman. What was the result of your problem. I am debating whether to replace the wiring that comes with the kit or just put in a new fuse...I am getting mixed response...

Also, the document posted states the following:

The temperature control circuit should be analyzed for proper operation and corrected.

How would one go about doing this?

Thanks.

What is the complete model of your dishwasher?

Did it happen first time?

Gene.
bustoutfunk  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:59:51 PM(UTC)
bustoutfunk

Hi Gene. Thanks for the quick response.

The model number is KUDS30IVBL3. I replaced the fuse only and started to run it. So far so good. I believe that the TCO fuse blew either right before the sanitize/heat cycle (i.e. last drain) or in the middle of it because there was a little bit of water at the bottom, some spots on the dishes, but everything was clean.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:16:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

It is very important to replace this fuse together with the wires included in the kit.

Hopefully the new fuse will last.

Gene.
bustoutfunk  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:20:18 PM(UTC)
bustoutfunk

What is the purpose of replacing the wires? I checked the contacts and they seem to be fine (i.e. no burning out, corrosion, etc.).

Also, what steps do you recommend to troubleshooting the original cause of the TCO fuse blowing? The dishwasher is less than 2 years old.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:34:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Well, on the first look it sounds strange but, based in my experience, it should be done to prevent same problem coming back soon. Also I believe if Whirlpool engineers decided to include this wires in the kit, than they had a very good reason for it. Unfortunately there are no publications explained this reason went on public. When Whirlpool start these series of dishwashers the replacement thermal fuse did not have any wires included.

So far I don't think you have to do any troubleshooting at all.

Gene.
dlev  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 7:50:35 AM(UTC)
dlev

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Well, on the first look it sounds strange but, based in my experience, it should be done to prevent same problem coming back soon. Also I believe if Whirlpool engineers decided to include this wires in the kit, than they had a very good reason for it. Unfortunately there are no publications explained this reason went on public. When Whirlpool start these series of dishwashers the replacement thermal fuse did not have any wires included.

So far I don't think you have to do any troubleshooting at all.

Gene.

This thread continues to be an issue so I want to post some of my own findings about TCOs. Whatever malfunction that may occur to cause a TCO to fail the first time, tampering with the TCO itself introduces its own set of problems. True the wiring at the TCO can degrade, but, in addition to that, the quality of the connection to the TCO will impact its operation. Spade terminal connections allow too much variability in the making of a connection to a TCO. The variability can be managed in the factory, but not in the field. The reason engineers have included a wiring harness with the TCO is that the connections to the TCO must be perfect to prevent them from generating heat that will cause premature and erroneous failures. The wiring harness eliminates poor field connections directly at the TCO and moves them up or down stream enough where heat generated at the field connections will have less impact on TCO operation. There is a good description of the engineering challenges associated with TCOs at http://disti-assets.s3.amazonaw...iles/datasheets/7691.pdf. Hope this helps. This is only one of the many factors that can cause TCO failure.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply