Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
J Black  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:42:00 AM(UTC)
J Black

Groups: Registered

Ever since we bought this Whirlpool duet washer it smells moldy whenever it is empty and standing idle. We originally thought the moldy smell was coming from the drain, which is mounted in the wall cavity. That is not the source. We have left the washer door open, thinking mold was developing when the door was left closed. That is not the source of the smell. We also leave the detergent drawer open but that is not the source of the smell. The smell does seem to be coming from a vent in the back of the washer (left side when looking at the front door of the washer). I've pulled the unit away from the wall a number of times but not found any signs of water leaks. Any recommendations?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

vsukumaran  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 11:16:33 AM(UTC)
vsukumaran

Hi J Black,

I work with Whirlpool brand and saw your post. Affresh™ washer cleaner is specifically designed to help remove and prevent the residue that can accumulate in HE washers.

For more information about Affresh, and why residue builds up in laundry machines please read this press release .

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Vivek Sukumaran
xaipete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:18:52 AM(UTC)
xaipete

I have a maytag front loader MAW2100 that often leaves some of my clothes smelling moldy. I've have had the rubber seal on the door replaced, run the machine with vinegar, bleach, left the door open, left the soap dispenser open, cleaned everything tons of times and the problem still keeps happening. My husband and I were talking about it again a few days ago and think that there is a build up in the machine from the liquid softener and liquid HE detergent that doesn't get washed away and might be the source of the mold. We think this because when I removed and cleaned out the soap dispenser I noticed how really hard it was to get all three compartments clean--there was a sticky pinkish/yellow film on areas in the dispenser. Bleach didn't dissolve the film only my scrubbing with a plastic pad. I read about Affresh and think that is a good idea, but what about using just plain old powdered electric dishwasher detergent? That stuff does a real good job of dissolving gunk. I'm going to try that first. We've also decided that were not going to use the soap dispenser anymore and were also not going to use any liquid softener or liquid HE detergent because we think that just raises the gunk factor which is a surface for the mold form on.
J Black  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 12:35:23 PM(UTC)
J Black

Vivek,
I did finally locate some Affresh. It is every bit as advertised. We ran one tablet in the washer, per the directions, and the mold smell has not returned. The product addresses buildups and mold development in internal washer areas. We're monitoring the "month" clean smell claim and will report back if it does not hold out that long.

With respect to xaipete's comments we had done quite a few loads just prior to getting the Affresh tables and did find the smell was less, however still present. We did not find the moldy smell building up in the soap dispenser. We got into the habit of leaving the dispenser and washer door open but that did not reduce the moldy smell at all. All this to say that Affresh is the first solution that has worked to rid the moldy smell in this HE washer. Also be careful changing from HE detergent. Any excessive suds will cause your machine to run a lot longer to get rid of the soap.
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 4:07:07 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We have Affresh in stock and currently on sale :cool:

UserPostedImage
okbobcats  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:50:10 PM(UTC)
okbobcats

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: xaipete Go to Quoted Post
I have a maytag front loader MAW2100 that often leaves some of my clothes smelling moldy. I've have had the rubber seal on the door replaced, run the machine with vinegar, bleach, left the door open, left the soap dispenser open, cleaned everything tons of times and the problem still keeps happening. My husband and I were talking about it again a few days ago and think that there is a build up in the machine from the liquid softener and liquid HE detergent that doesn't get washed away and might be the source of the mold. We think this because when I removed and cleaned out the soap dispenser I noticed how really hard it was to get all three compartments clean--there was a sticky pinkish/yellow film on areas in the dispenser. Bleach didn't dissolve the film only my scrubbing with a plastic pad. I read about Affresh and think that is a good idea, but what about using just plain old powdered electric dishwasher detergent? That stuff does a real good job of dissolving gunk. I'm going to try that first. We've also decided that were not going to use the soap dispenser anymore and were also not going to use any liquid softener or liquid HE detergent because we think that just raises the gunk factor which is a surface for the mold form on.

their is a recall on some maytag washer. they install a new boot and also a hose that goes to the puml. i dont know off hand what model this is for.
Admin / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:30:49 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

okbobcats, do you have any more info on that recall? I can't find it anywhere. The only recent ones I'm aware of relating to Maytag washers are MAH8700/MAH9700 model recall from 3/21/2007 (Hazard: Water leakage onto the electrical connections to the washing machine's thermal sensor could cause an electrical short and ignite a circuit board, posing a fire hazard to consumers) and MAH9700 model recall from 9/27/2005 (Hazard: If the front-load washer is operated at maximum load capacity, the spinner could malfunction and break apart, posing a safety risk to consumers).
okbobcats  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:47:57 AM(UTC)
okbobcats

Groups: Senior Expert

I'll try to find the info some were. and like i said i don't know what modeks this is for offf hand.
Admin / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:13:22 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Happy Thanksgiving!
JaneWEllis  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 2:05:14 PM(UTC)
JaneWEllis

Hello --

I see mold inside the large rubber ring (the seal) at the opening of my washer and it's hard to scrub off, even with bleach. Will the product some of you have mentioned (Affresh?) reach that mold if I use it? Thank you for help on this; it's driving me crazy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply