Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Durangler  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:55:33 AM(UTC)
Durangler

Groups: Registered

3 days ago, Whirlpool refrigerator began acting up. Freezer side was thawing & fridge side was warming. Ice was melting all over the place. All lights were working but no fans operating. Slid temperature controls back & forth. Nothing, no fan or compressor kick in. :(
Thought about unplugging, but didn't at that time.
Unloaded the unit, and decided to unplug. Pulled the plug waited 5 seconds and plugged it back in.
Well, shazzam, it began running.:eek:
The past couple of weeks, I have occasionally heard a different noise. Like crumpling up a piece of paper, noise. Would that be cause for concern?:confused:
In the mean time, I scheduled service and am waiting for repairman/woman now.
The unit has seemed to work fine since the unplug/replug. Is it possible that these new refrigerators can be "rebooted" like a computer?
Is there anything else I should be aware of or could be the problem?:confused:

Thank you kindly :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:30:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts.
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED5LVAXWQ00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Is it possible that these new refrigerators can be "rebooted" like a computer?[/COLOR]
Yes they can.
FYI: This also applies to most electronic controlled devices DVD players, TV's etc. So if they mess up always try unplugging it for a couple minutes to see if they will reset.

If you look in Section 10 you will see that this unit has a mechanical thermostat (Item 9) since moving this did not do anything I would say it is OK.

But it also has an Adaptive Defrost Control (Item 6) and it is electronic. It sounds like it got stuck in a defrost cycle. This holds the fans and compressor off. I would replace it.
If you are going to let the repair person replace it, make sure they bring one with them.
Otherwise they could show up and basically do nothing but charge you a service call.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have occasionally heard a different noise. Like crumpling up a piece of paper, noise. Would that be cause for concern?[/COLOR]
I cannot really comment on this.
What is running or not running when this happens.
Perhaps something is hitting one of the fans every once in a while, if the fans are running.
Try to locate the noise.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Durangler  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:36:19 AM(UTC)
Durangler

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

I have occasionally heard a different noise. Like crumpling up a piece of paper, noise. Would that be cause for concern?
I cannot really comment on this.
What is running or not running when this happens.
Perhaps something is hitting one of the fans every once in a while, if the fans are running.
Try to locate the noise.

Thank you denman for your reply.

Ummm... I don't believe the fan or compressor was running when I heard this noise. Haven't noticed it since the re-boot.
I was thinking it could be water moving through the system, filling the icemaker or cold water storage. But it was a new noise I hadn't heard before.
This is a "Original Warranty" repair, as it was purchased Oct 1, 2011.
The service man should be here soon. Hope he has parts. I'm a bit reluctant to suggest to the "pro" to bring replacement parts.
I'm just a simple consumer. :)
I'll ask him about the 2 parts you mentioned. ;) And see his reaction! :cool:

Will post back here after he's done.

Thanks
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:06:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Only part he should need is the Adaptive Defrost Board.

I am sure they will be able to figure it out on their own oncethey hear the problem and how you troubleshot /repaired it.

The reason I say to replace the board is that if it happens again and you do not catch it then it could be costly.

Do not confuse the issue by mentioning the following to the service rep.
It will just confuse things and they may try to ding you for tyhe service call.
Also is the unit on a separate 15 amp line?
It should be.
Other devices on a line could cause voltage spikes.
Voltage spikes can effect the operation of the electronic board.
"richappy" another regular poster here recommends a put a 1000joule surge protector in the fridge outlet.
They are available at Home Depot etc.
Durangler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:29:30 AM(UTC)
Durangler

denman - I'll not mention anything.

I'm pretty sure it's on a 15A line. My breaker box has many labeled circuits, but nothing for the refrigerator. :(
Will track that down when I have a spotter. It's kinda a PITA tracking that alone.
Ya know, turn breaker off, run to see, .... wrong one.... do it again... :eek: LOL

Thx
Durangler  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:15:03 AM(UTC)
Durangler

Service technician stated it is probably an issue with the Defrost Board, as denman suggested.

He said Whirlpool was aware of the problem and thinks it's from interference from microwaves, wi-fi's, cell phones etc. that's causing the issue with the Defrost Board. :rolleyes:
He's filing a report with tech support and I'll be on a standby list to have a redesigned board installed. ~shrugs~
He did mention if I noticed the "Water Filter Status" light was a different color than green. It was green when the problem occurred.
He said the WFS light was tied with the defrost board and a color change would indicate a Defrost Board problem.

He didn't want to install another Defrost Board knowing there was an interference issue.

Now I guess it's wait and see. I'll follow up with them until the redesign is complete.
denman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:17:49 PM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]He said Whirlpool was aware of the problem and thinks it's from interference from microwaves, wi-fi's, cell phones etc. that's causing the issue with the Defrost Board[/COLOR]

Personally the above does not make sense to me.
Your fridge is metal so I cannot see how the above could effect the board.

Ever try to use your cell phone in a metal building?

Also microwave ovens are metal and have metal mesh in the glass doors for the specific purpose of stopping microwaves from escaping.

I hope you do not mind but I am going to put this in the Tech Talk section to get the opinion of others.

Perhaps I am missing something.
Durangler  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:28:50 PM(UTC)
Durangler

Yeah, I was a bit confused with this diagnosis also. I will be following up with this. I'll give it a couple weeks and keep a sharp eye on the refrigerator. I may even contact Whirlpool directly and see what they say.

>>>I hope you do not mind but I am going to put this in the Tech Talk section to get the opinion of others.<<<

Absolutely, do with this wherever you believe may get more attention.
Not a problem. I'll find Tech Talk and follow it, if I'm authorized.
As you can see, I just joined this forum. Lots of good info here, to be sure!

Thanks for the assistance.

Durangler  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:34:06 PM(UTC)
Durangler

>>>I'll find Tech Talk and follow it, if I'm authorized.<<<
denman...
Well, I'm not allowed into Tech Talk.
Perhaps you could keep me posted if the Tech Talk guru's have any answers and post them here.
That would be great.
Thanks again. :)
denman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:34:15 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes, I will keep you informed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply