Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:08:56 PM(UTC)
weel

Groups: Registered

I have an amana sdc25tl side by side fridge. the coil in the freezer is frozen over. it seems the fan to circulate air is not working. i have checked the ohms on the defrost coil and get 28.6 ohms. so i think that is good. the defrost thermostat looks like it might be coming apart. it looks like a pop can does when it is frozen. however 120 volts does pass thru it, when it is not touching the coil. if that makes sense. when the thermostat is hooked to the coil "physically" it does not let 120 volts pass thru. i think this might be my problem but im not sure. can i bypass this timer to see if it works without frying anything.
looking at the wires it looks like the power goes as follows
from defrost coil to defrost thermostat to fan.

i read where people talk about a defrost timer to adjust but i don see one where im looking..

thanks in advance bill
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

weel  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:10:31 PM(UTC)
weel

well i jumped the defrost thermostat and the fan spins like a champ. so im guessing that the defrost thermostat is bad. in comparing it with pictures of the ones that are new. i think mine came apart for some reason. if anyone has any other ideas shoot me a line...
i dont have the part number for the defrost thermostat. if anyone can point me in the right direction ?????

bill
kooler  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:27:16 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Congrats, it appears you may have figured this one out on your own... Altho I can't locate a parts list with the model number you listed.. Are there any characters on the tag that you left out?? And normally you won't find a timer mounted in the freezer compartment tho some models do... It's usually inside the fridge or underneath... Need more info to id a part number for you... cheers, kooler
weel  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 7:14:59 PM(UTC)
weel

kooler thanks for the reply. i found a new one at a parts store for 23.00 and it is working like a champ.. i just thought there might have been another solution or another problem that im not seeing. and it figures i just had shoulder surgery two weeks ago so i had to have a friend who is not famaliar with a meter and scared of electricity do the work for me,.
well its done. thanks again