Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 5:57:22 PM(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Registered

We had a problem with our electric and we lost our neutral. Once we got the electric fixed we went to use our dryer and found that it would not work. I tested the Thermal Fuse thinking it my have gone bad, but got continuity. I tested the control panel (Part #3978825) as detailed in the troubleshooting manual, and got nothing from all buttons. I assume that the panel needs to be replaced, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Wouldn't the control board (Part #3980061) go out before the control panel? I can replace the parts with no problem, but I don't want to drop $150 into the control panel just to find out it was the control board. Any suggestions about making an educated guess as to which to replace first? Or could it be another part?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 8:19:22 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

Are you sure you the the correct voltage to the dryer now with a working neutral?

I don't see how a lost neutral would do any damage to the dryer. Now if votage got onto the neutral then I would think the control board (Part #3980061) would have been damaged.
JonG  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:16:44 PM(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Registered

I tested the dryer's electric socket and everything looks OK there voltage wise.

We were having surges for a few days over all of our circuits before we were able to get it fixed. It all started after a lightning storm (a faulty wire going from the pole to the meter). Evidently, the electric has been on the verge for a few years.

That's for the input. Is there any way to tell if it's just a component on the board that's bad?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:22:34 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
JonG
The first thing I would do is to check voltage between terminals P1-5 and P1-2 on the control board. Normally there suppose to be about 120V. If there is a normal voltage then the control board has to be replaced. If there is no proper voltage you have to check voltage on the outlet. There suppose to be 120V between any hot wire and neutral and 240V between hot wires. It it reads proper voltage remove the back panel from the dryer and check the terminal block (were the power cord connected to the dryer). Very possible one of the wires burned out.
Good luck.
Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply