Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrRob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:24:42 AM(UTC)
MrRob

Groups: Registered

My asko 1385 dishwasher stopped washing the dishes. water would pump in, but then wouldn't run through the wash cycle. I pulled the dw and watched the circulation pump as it started through the cycle. the motor was spinning but I wasn't getting any water moving.. I ended up removing the pump and found the impeller broken, (i've now read that's a common problem) I would like to replace the impeller, but in looking at the pump I'm confused as how to get the impeller housing off the pump. anyone know?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

wkearney99  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:45:36 AM(UTC)
wkearney99

If it's anything like the pump on my Asko 1385 you twist the impeller shroud off the pump motor. It's held in place via a series of tabs all around the perimeter of the pump. You have to give the pump motor about a 1/8 turn to disengage the impeller shroud from it. You do not have to remove the hoses from the underside of the washer tub, those stay there along with the impeller shroud. It's the pump and the impeller (that part with the blades) that comes out of the washer.

Once it's out you have to hold onto the back side of the motor shaft and give the impeller a clockwise twist to loosen it. It's threaded onto the motor shaft. The back end of the motor shaft has some cooling fins on it. You can wedge a screw driver between those fins and the housing to keep the shaft from turning (avoiding any of the winding wires, of course). The impeller will spin right off the shaft threads.

Now the question is where to find the impeller quickly...
jphipps  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 7:29:13 PM(UTC)
jphipps

:) Mr Rob.
I know what your problem is and I can help you. I fixed my own broken impeller on my ASKO 1475 dishwasher. It sounds like the same problem you had. Call me at 614-419-1636. I can walk you thru how to remove the impeller from the circulation pump as well as how to fix it without buying the entire circulation pump as most appliance companies want to do because ASKO does not sell the impellers separate from the pumps. I have come up with a solution.

Thanks,
Jeff Phipps

Originally Posted by: MrRob Go to Quoted Post
My asko 1385 dishwasher stopped washing the dishes. water would pump in, but then wouldn't run through the wash cycle. I pulled the dw and watched the circulation pump as it started through the cycle. the motor was spinning but I wasn't getting any water moving.. I ended up removing the pump and found the impeller broken, (i've now read that's a common problem) I would like to replace the impeller, but in looking at the pump I'm confused as how to get the impeller housing off the pump. anyone know?
jphipps  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 7:34:27 PM(UTC)
jphipps

I found an impeller online that had the same dimensions as the one in my ASKO 1475. I then was able to make a few modifications and it works beautifully. It cost me less than $50 versus $388 for an entire circulation pump that included the impeller. ASKO does not sell the impellers separate from the circulation pumps.

Thanks,,
Jeff Phipps 614-419-1636

Originally Posted by: wkearney99 Go to Quoted Post
If it's anything like the pump on my Asko 1385 you twist the impeller shroud off the pump motor. It's held in place via a series of tabs all around the perimeter of the pump. You have to give the pump motor about a 1/8 turn to disengage the impeller shroud from it. You do not have to remove the hoses from the underside of the washer tub, those stay there along with the impeller shroud. It's the pump and the impeller (that part with the blades) that comes out of the washer.

Once it's out you have to hold onto the back side of the motor shaft and give the impeller a clockwise twist to loosen it. It's threaded onto the motor shaft. The back end of the motor shaft has some cooling fins on it. You can wedge a screw driver between those fins and the housing to keep the shaft from turning (avoiding any of the winding wires, of course). The impeller will spin right off the shaft threads.

Now the question is where to find the impeller quickly...
JMLambright  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:17:29 PM(UTC)
JMLambright

I think I have the same issue with my Asko 1475 but can't even figure out how to get to the pump. Did you pull the dishwasher out of the cabinet completely and go at it from the back?
Thanks,
Mark
Link0  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:45:13 AM(UTC)
Link0

I modified the impeller sold separately for the new pump to fit my existing pump on ASKO 1585. Seems to work. Cost $30 Time about 2 hours once I figured it out. Skill level is moderate. This does not address any other issues that might have caused ASKO to replace the entire pump. Good Luck
PARTS
2x2 to 4 inch hose clamps
6 inch zip tie
17/64 drill bit
impeller replacement for new pump - part number 8801044.
HOW
1)Pump is accessible from the back. Remove the pump by cutting the zip tie holding it to the vibration damper and popping off a euro style hose clamp from bit input and output of pump.
2) Remove the pump housing from the motor by unscrewing it counter clockwise. Requires some force careful not to break the plastic.
3) Unscrew the broken impeller by blocking the motor shaft at the back fan fins using a small flat blade screw driver. It is reverse threaded.
4) Drill out the brass inset of the new impeller using a 17/64 drill.
5) Screw the new impeller onto the old shaft to re-thread the impeller instead of a tap. This requires force but also care as you do not want to break the plastic impeller. During the re-threading it is a good to go only ½ turn each time before removing and blowing out brass particles. Mine finally seated fully.
6) Put everything back together ;-)
JMLambright  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:53:31 AM(UTC)
JMLambright

Great advice on the impeller replacement. Works like a champ!
Thanks!
gsbisco  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:42:43 AM(UTC)
gsbisco

Really appreciated the suggestion to modify a new impeller (Jeff Phipps) and your (LinkO's) specific info on how to do that. What I wanted to add to this thread is that even if a person can't do the impeller modification at home, they might be able to call a local machine shop and have it done. That's what I did.

Gina
pk7  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 5:36:01 AM(UTC)
pk7

Asko doesn't make or sell my impeller anymore and I cannot find any appliance repair/parts that have it. Is there a way to find out if another impeller number matches it or interchanges with it?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply