Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NSXBill  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 7:05:19 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

Groups: Registered

Last night set oven to preheat to 425. When temp indicator light was out, opened door and noticed not so hot (but was pretty warm) and oven light (inside of oven) was dim. Rotated temp knob up and heard thermostat click, but temp indicator light would not illuminate. Tried range top and it would just get warm, not hot. Rotated Oven switch to broil and the indicator light came on and broiler element got red.

After playing around with it, the indicator lights started working, the oven interior light was not dim, the oven heated, and the range worked. Thought maybe the oven switch was not set in detent or something the first time. However, after a short while, the same symptoms came back. Later it worked again!

The bottom element was resting on the floor of the oven, so I rotated the little legs and fixed that. The element was changed a year ago, otherwise has always worked fine.

Is it an oven switch ($$$) or something else please?

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

NSXBill  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:39:18 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

Bump please.

Could still use some opinions please.

Thanks
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:53:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Now that the element is off the oven floor does it work OK (both the oven and the stove top)?

Since it affected both the oven and the stove top it is probably a power problem. Could be a bad connection in the wall receptacle or at the connection block in the unit or a wire in the unit.

Make sure you disconnect power before investigating any of these.
240 volts is very dangerous.

From your description my gut is saying that the oven element is shorting to the units frame. The question is: how to check it, if it is still doing it with the element properly up on it's feet. You need something that does not conduct electricity but can withstand the heat that you can slip under the feet to check if this is where it is shorting.

If this is the problem replace the element ASAP.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
NSXBill  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:01:47 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

Well, your gut must be pretty good! It has not had a problem since I raised the element off the bottom. Over the 15 years, the element would fall and be on the bottom until I would re-adjust, so I never would've thought this could be the problem. It appears that on the right side, the element has worn (though vibration from opening and closing) or burned though the oven coating, so must now be able to barely short some times.

I can't ever seem to keep those little element feet from rotating around...even when I put a new element in that one time. Any tips?

Thanks for the help!
NSXBill  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 4:39:37 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

OK, after all this time, the problem is back, same as in the original post. The element is off the floor (and has been kept that way). I guess it is the switch??? What else can I try please?

thanks,

Bill
Dan O.  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 9:36:14 AM(UTC)
Dan O.

denman wrote:

Since it affected both the oven and the stove top it is probably a power problem. Could be a bad connection in the wall receptacle or at the connection block in the unit or a wire in the unit.

I agree. Someone should check the range's wall outlet, the appliance cord and the wiring from the range's main terminal block. There could be a loose connection or a failing wire and/or connector.

Quote:
I can't ever seem to keep those little element feet from rotating around...even when I put a new element in that one time. Any tips?

Get a new element. The support legs should be on there tight enough to not move. You must have gotten a poorly made one last time. :rolleyes:

LINK > GE JB576GR5 Bake Element

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
NSXBill  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 9:42:15 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

One last thing. The wife pulled the oven out to clean the cabinet sides yesterday and we slid it back in. I don't think it worked after that. :o

Must be a loose connection where the pigtail is put on with nuts (I hope). Since the unit is so old, it has had a lot of time to loosen up. The fact that I was having a problem before, and probably pulled it out and slid it back in and it worked also points to loose connection.

I will check when I get home. I will throw circuit breaker, unplug from outlet and check the pigtail connections.
NSXBill  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:32:41 AM(UTC)
NSXBill

I tightened everything up, including the wires inside the 220v outlet (they seemed looser than any on the stove). Oven works fine now. None of the connections seemed to be noticibly loose, but I checked and tightened them all anyway.

thanks for giving me the solution
denman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:36:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Glad you found it.

If you ever have to pull the unit apart again it would be a good idea to clean the wires with extra fine emery cloth, they are probably pitted/corroded from being loose.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply