Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimwhite  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:27:26 AM(UTC)
jimwhite

Groups: Registered

During the spinning cycle, water is being discharged but it is not spinning. During the spin cycle, a buzzing/grinding sound can be heard from the bottom of the washer. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Hopper  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:33:27 PM(UTC)
Hopper

I had the same problem. Look under the washer you'll probably find a small pile of shredded black rubber. If so, its the direct drive coupling. New part is about $12 + shipping. Remove the shell, disconnect the water pump and motor. Install new coupling (3 pieces). New improved parts did not fit smoothly. I had to gently tap them with a hammer to fully seat them on the motor and gearshafts.
jimwhite  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 3:17:27 PM(UTC)
jimwhite

I did not notice any shredded black rubber but will check the coupling. I'm not sure that I even know where the pump is located but will give it a go. Thanks for your advice.
LadyChatfield  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:46:14 AM(UTC)
LadyChatfield

Our Whirlpool washer motor cycles but the basket stopped moving. I did find two piles of ground rubber under the washer. Your post helped. Thanks for the advice.
jimwhite  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:03:13 PM(UTC)
jimwhite

Hopper, while I did not find any shredded black rubber, after removing the direct drive coupling (three separate pieces that fit together), the white piece closest to the gear case was cracked completely through. I've ordered the part and am still waiting for it to be delivered. I suspect this is the problem but will not know for sure until I get it installed. I also did not need to remove the shell in that everything was accessible from the bottom. Hopper, your advice was terrific and I appreciate it.
jimwhite  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:20:12 AM(UTC)
jimwhite

My Whirlpool washer stopped spinning and was making a squealing sound. I ordered and installed the new direct drive coupling ($20 including shipping) and the problem is solved. I was able to replace the part in less than an hour.) I replaced the part from the bottom of the washer without removing the shell. I removed the white plastic water pump first by releasing the two clasps and pushing it to the side. There was no need to remove any hoses from the water pump. Next I removed the motor by removing two electrical connections--one multi-pronged and one single prong black wire (very easy). I then removed two small screws from clasps holding the motor. Once the clasps were removed, the motor came right off. Under the motor was a flat plate with two bolts. I'm not sure that I even needed to remove the plate. It may have made it a little easier to get to the direct drive coupling. The direct drive coupling (a black component sandwiched by two white components) was exposed. I quickly noticed that the white piece closest to the gear box was cracked. I installed the new part (better quality now with a metal insert in the white plastic) and reversed the procedures to reassemble. I appreciate applicance parts pros having this forum and for those individuals sending me responses.