Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbortman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:58:20 PM(UTC)
mbortman

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore diswasher stopped working -- the lights would not even light. Using the troubleshooting guide, I took the cover off and found no continuity across the thermal fuse (TCO).

I replaced it and the dishwasher worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now I have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:46:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mark,

It could be the pump motor or the heater drawing to much current, or the water inside the dishwasher is too hot. You have to measure the water temperature inside the dishwasher and the current drawn by the motor and heater (required a clamp-on meter). Also check the power cord connection at the dishwasher junction box (under the dishwasher) for proper polarity and good contacts.

Gene.
bjwingard  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:52:54 PM(UTC)
bjwingard

Hello Gene and to all,

I am having the same issues as Mark is having. I have the service man come out 3 weeks ago and he replaced the thermal fuse. Looks like he only replaced the fuse and not the harness. not sue if theirs is critical or not. I was going to order another fuse and use the harness. I have a few questions if I may:

1. What is the amps the motor and heater will draw before the thermal fuse goes? I thought I read 12 amps. Would a Bussmann #BP-SSU Switch & Fuse Holder with a T10 Buss Fusetron Plug Fuse work to stop the thermal fuse from blowing?

2. Also, do you think a lot of us are having this issue with the thermal fuse blowing due to possible power surges the home for example: frig, furnace, sump pump, etc. shutting on and off during the dishwasher cycle?

Any insight would be appreciated. I am about ready revert back to the days I was young and have my kids hand wash and dry the dishes.

Kenmore mod # 655.16052400
Thermal fuse # G4AM1102 or AP3178588

Would part # 8193762 thermal fuse also work for a replacemet?

Thank you,
Brian

:eek:
bjwingard  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:17:04 AM(UTC)
bjwingard

Gene,

I checked the Hi-limit switch. It has continuity. What is the switch that has the white and light blue wire running to it that is attached to the steam outlet? Is this the Thermistor switch to see if it is working?

Thank you,

Brian
Gene  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:17:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: bjwingard Go to Quoted Post
...1. What is the amps the motor and heater will draw before the thermal fuse goes? I thought I read 12 amps. Would a Bussmann #BP-SSU Switch & Fuse Holder with a T10 Buss Fusetron Plug Fuse work to stop the thermal fuse from blowing?

2. Also, do you think a lot of us are having this issue with the thermal fuse blowing due to possible power surges the home for example: frig, furnace, sump pump, etc. shutting on and off during the dishwasher cycle?...

...3. Would part # 8193762 thermal fuse also work for a replacement?...

Brian,

1. The max amperage should be written on the name plate. The fuse is Thermal and its main goal is to protect the control board from overheating. Any alteration will affect this function and possibly cause damage to the control board.

2. No, I do not think so.

3. According to the parts list this is the right part number for the replacement thermal fuse. The Appliance Parts Pros part number is AP3178588

Gene.
bjwingard  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 4:46:50 AM(UTC)
bjwingard

Thanks Gene,

In question #1, I need to clarify, I was thinking of hooking the 10amp bussman fuse to the main power line. The line is ran on a 15amp breaker. I read somewhere if the unit draws more than 12 amps the thermal fuse will go. I figured if I have a 10amp bussman single fuse box in-line to the power going tinto the 120V hookup, it would blow if the unit went too high tin amperage. I will change the thermal fuse and harness first. The fuse blew both times on the smart wash cycle.

Thank you,
Brian
Gene  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 10:55:03 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
...It could be the pump motor or the heater drawing to much current, or the water inside the dishwasher is too hot. You have to measure the water temperature inside the dishwasher and the current drawn by the motor and heater (required a clamp-on meter). Also check the power cord connection at the dishwasher junction box (under the dishwasher) for proper polarity and good contacts...

Brian,

You have to check all of the above to make sure there is nothing wrong. Otherwise you can end up with another blown fuse.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply