Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DCapo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:18:08 PM(UTC)
DCapo

Groups: Registered

Hey Pros,
I have an Amana fridge with a freezer on the bottom (Model #ARB2107AW) that has stopped working. The freezer is still ice cold, but the fridge is room temp. The fan is running. The same thing happened about 2 weeks ago and I emptied it out, cleaned the coils, and let it defrost over night. There was a good sized puddle beneath it when it was done defrosting. It immediately started working again after the defrost. Now 2 weeks later it is exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

I've heard defrost timer, defrost heater, or theromstat may be the culprit. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it myself?
Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

DCapo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:04:00 AM(UTC)
DCapo

Originally Posted by: DCapo Go to Quoted Post
Hey Pros,
I have an Amana fridge with a freezer on the bottom (Model #ARB2107AW) that has stopped working. The freezer is still ice cold, but the fridge is room temp. The fan is running. The same thing happened about 2 weeks ago and I emptied it out, cleaned the coils, and let it defrost over night. There was a good sized puddle beneath it when it was done defrosting. It immediately started working again after the defrost. Now 2 weeks later it is exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

I've heard defrost timer, defrost heater, or theromstat may be the culprit. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it myself?
Thanks!

So I've been through the search feature on the website and sticky notes at the top about this problem. There isn't any reference to my model that I can find in the section about refrigerators.

I know it's common, but the problem that I'm having is the skematics for my Amana doesn't show a defrost timer, which would be the first step in the process outlined by Gene. It shows a defrost thermostat and a defrost heater element. Am I missing something or does this model function without a timer? I'm going to order both the thermostat and element from appliance pros, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something that'll delay it longer.
Thanks!
DCapo  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 8:02:04 AM(UTC)
DCapo

So I've been through the search feature on the website and sticky notes at the top about this problem. There isn't any reference to my model that I can find in the section about refrigerators.

I know it's common, but the problem that I'm having is the skematics for my Amana doesn't show a defrost timer, which would be the first step in the process outlined by Gene. It shows a defrost thermostat and a defrost heater element. Am I missing something or does this model function without a timer? I'm going to order both the thermostat and element from appliance pros, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something that'll delay it longer.
Thanks!

Is this thing on? :)

Can anybody give me a bit advice if the Amana I own has a defrost timer or not? I"m planning on just replacing the defrost thermostat and heater, but I'd rather not skip a part that may be the culprit.
Thanks!
Dan
DCapo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:15:57 AM(UTC)
DCapo

Is this thing on? :)

Can anybody give me a bit advice if the Amana I own has a defrost timer or not? I"m planning on just replacing the defrost thermostat and heater, but I'd rather not skip a part that may be the culprit.
Thanks!
Dan

Anybody? Help? Please?
Roundedge4lfe  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:15:49 PM(UTC)
Roundedge4lfe

Have you pulled your evaporator cover and ohm'd out your bi-metal or heater. The bi-metal is probably your culprit. Defrost thermostat.
DCapo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:36:37 PM(UTC)
DCapo

Originally Posted by: Roundedge4lfe Go to Quoted Post
Have you pulled your evaporator cover and ohm'd out your bi-metal or heater. The bi-metal is probably your culprit. Defrost thermostat.

Thanks for the reply Roundededge4lfe! I found the defrost timer and gave it a spin. It shut the compressor down and I could hear it ticking, but there didn't seem to be any heat coming on to defrost the back wall of the freezer which was heavily frosted. I went ahead and ordered a new defrost thermostat, heater element, and timer from APP. I don't have a multimeter and I figure by the time I buy a decent one I'd be into it for more than half the cost of the parts to fix all of the typical sources of this problem. I figure that if one thing is going out then the others are probably not far behind.
Thanks again for the reply!