Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Greg maytag cent  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 4:36:38 AM(UTC)
Greg maytag cent

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

I have a maytag centennial washer that is about 1 year old. Recently, it started to make this loud squealing sound during the spin cycle. It sounds like dry belt trying to move. What do you all think the problem might be? Could it be the coupler? I titled the washer back and up to take a look underneath and noticed tiny black particles. Didn't think anything of it til I watched a youtube video by appliancepartspros that happens to mention the coupler. Anyways, I would like to try and fix it myself, so if anyone has any suggestion, it would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:43:47 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The tiny black particles are what the CSI people would call proof positive that the coupler needs replacing. That may be a little too strong, but I would certain use the video to go in there and change it out.
Greg maytag cent  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:02:36 PM(UTC)
Greg maytag cent

sidfink43, thank you for the CSI reference and replying to my message. hahaha. Now, let me ask two more questions. I ran the washer without any cloths and that belt-like squealing sound was not there. So, do you think it is still the coupler? What is the function of the coupler anyways?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:20:29 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You have what is called a direct drive washer. The coupling connects the motor shaft to the transmission, eliminating the need for a belt. There is a library of videos at the top of this page, take a look at the one for replacing the coupling.

If there is a problem it is designed to fail so that the more expensive parts, the motor and the transmission do not fail. The video will show you in detail how things work.
Greg maytag cent  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 6:35:56 AM(UTC)
Greg maytag cent

sidfink43,

YOU WERE RIGHT! I replaced the coupler and inset, and the noise is gone! Thank you! I appreciate your help, sir!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply