Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tms  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 12:29:12 AM(UTC)
tms

Groups: Registered

hi there,i read a post about not cold and saw where someone replied about ice build up and sure enough mine also had ice build up behind panel in the top freezer compartment, like it said in that post i emptied the freezer and removed the panel and melted all off the ice ,put it all back togeather and hopefully will work a few months longer?

I also vacumed the coils under neath and all ,so my question is? what may have caused this? my other half:p had spent all day cleaning this and so i think it went into hyper cool and froze up just trying to keep up with the door open for a longer than normal time?

we have noticed for some time (3 - 4 years ) this model tends to go pee pee :eek: on the floor once a day? but we had both noticed it had not for a few days or weeks ?:confused:

there was no pop up thing mentioned in other post so I wonder what this item they were talking about that has gone bad and if mine has a bad part? just wondering about how much it sounds like a repair cost may be and if it is worth trying to fix a 11 or 12 year old fridge ,my folks have an amana that they got like 30 years ago (remember when harvest gold was an "in" color?:eek: )

well thanks for your help and happy thanksgiving
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 12:47:36 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

You have a defrost problem, and it's one or a combination of 3 parts that is your problem... And it will ice up again in a matter of days.. Even tho it's a kenmore, GE made this refrigerator... You can go to the sears parts website and input your model number to view the diagrams to see what is what but suggest using APP to obtain a better price on parts needed... Locate the defrost timer and gently turn the dial into a defrost cycle, you'll hear an audible click... Wait at least 35 min to see if the timer will advance back to the cooling mode, if it doesn't then replace the timer (P/N WR9X520)... While system is in defrost and with the back cover of freezer removed observe the defrost heater assy... Is it getting hot?? If not, then either the heater or the defrost end thermostat (or both) is defective... Heater (P/N WR51X465) End thermostat (P/N WR50X10010) Unless you're capable of using a volt or ohm meter to troubleshoot these parts get a pro to check them.. Or you can replace both of them anyway but the heater assy is a bit pricy... A volt/ohm meter is a lot cheaper... All around this repair is cheaper than a new refrigerator... Good luck!
tms  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2007 7:31:50 AM(UTC)
tms

Groups: Registered

hi Kooler,thanks for the info but so far it now seems to be working again ,temp in the fridge 40

I have also checked for frosting on back panel and again so far so good?

I think when it was cleaned she left door open way too long and with the heat on in the house it went in to triple time to try and cool and freeze and it iced up?

I did turn it to level "c" and i turned the power miser off and its still at 40 degree's in fridge and ice maker is making ice.

thanks