Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mzumtaylor  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:25:51 PM(UTC)
mzumtaylor

Groups: Registered

I don't actually know how old the disposal is, since we just moved into our new home.

I'm pretty sure that it's the disposal that's causing the problem. I've tried everything else (including two different dishwashers).

We moved in two weeks ago. The first time I ran Dishwasher #1 (Jenn-Air, DW760W), I found standing water in the bottom of the tub when the cycle was complete. I ran through all the normal checks (solenoid/pump working, no kinks/clogs in the drain line, no clogs in the internal workings). I ran the DW on the rinse and hold cycle and on the rinse cycle with the drain hose unhooked from the dishwasher and it drained perfectly.

When I plugged everything back in, I ended up with standing water in the tub again. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the Wash cycle; the only cycle I hadn't tested. I decided that getting a new dishwasher was the solution.

My cousin recently remodeled his kitchen and had a spare dishwasher sitting around. I took it over to our new place and plugged it in. Enter Dishwasher #2 (GE, GSD5500G00CC). Excited that I could now wash all of our dishes after the move, I ran a cycle. I opened it up to find standing water in the basin. :(

As I was typing up a post to this forum under "dishwasher repair" it occurred to me that I should see if it Dishwasher #2 drained when not plugged into the disposal, which was the only piece I couldn't check because the drain-hose hookup is blocked from visibility by the sink basin. I took a picture with my phone and it didn't look like there was anything blocking the drain input in the disposal, but I couldn't be sure.

In any case, I pulled the drain hose, set it up to drain straight into the sink, and ran a full cycle in Dishwasher #2. Viola, a fully-drained dishwasher.

So now I'm trying to figure out why/how the disposal is blocking the draining of the dishwasher (either of them). I took a second picture of the drain hose hookup and it doesn't look like there's a plug in it (which I know can be a problem). The disposal runs when I flip its switch, and seems to grind up what little food we've put down it (I try not to use my disposal very often).

I've attached a picture of the drain-hose hookup. I'm not sure if the silver circle in the middle is normal, or what.

Help? :confused:
mzumtaylor attached the following image(s):
Disposal.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:35:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Looks to me like the plug in the disposal is still there.

Here is an install sheet for this type of unit.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digita...uide%20-%20W10296116.pdf
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mzumtaylor  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:09:11 AM(UTC)
mzumtaylor

Thank you for replying to my post so quickly!

Okay, so it sounds like I need to remove my disposal since access to the drain connection is being blocked by the sink. Fortunately, I now have instructions for how to do that.

Thanks again.
ssssss  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 7:10:49 AM(UTC)
ssssss

My disposal just knock plug into disposal & remove
MkBrennanMD  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:35:43 PM(UTC)
MkBrennanMD

I had the same problem. The dishwasher would run, and at the end of the cycle there was water still inside the machine. I'm not an appliance expert, but I just went through some troubleshooting.

I would take your hoses off and blow through each end to see if there is blockage or not. In my case I took the hose off, and although it looked like it wasn't obstructed, when I blew through it, no air would escape the other end.

The clog was white in color and tough. This stuff builds up over time, almost like someone's artery, and once clogged, your best bet is to throw it out, and get a new hose. Its a cheap solution, and is usually the cause. 30,000 ppl watched my video on dishwasher repair, and a lot of them reported the same issue and solution. My "how to" video on dishwasher repair may help. I used someone else's video when I approached this issue, and the videos helped... Here it is. Goodluck!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7uaA2NZKl0

Believe it or not, its not usually food clogging it up, but rather the soaps. Is your machine older than 2 yrs?
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 4:09:12 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
MkBrennanMD

I know you are proud of your video and I did watch it and it is pretty good but this is getting a bit much.
It is obvious that the problem here was that the person did not knock out the drain input plug on the garbage disposal.

I my opinion you seem to be flooding the forum with replies that often do not address the poster's problem/symptoms.

A plugged drain tube is not that common usually if a person is using a cycle that heats the water the grease etc. stays in solution. You may have had a sharp kink in the hose that caused your problem. It is much more common for clogs to occur where the drain attaches to the house plumbing. Or if the unit uses a back flow flapper valve at that point. There are many other causes of no draining depending on the make and model.

I do not want to insult you as I know you are just trying to help.
But please stop just adding your post to anything that even mentions a drain problem.

thank you
denman
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply