Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:43:40 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups ready for retrieval: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you have a Maytag Performa washer that shakes a lot, or has a weak spin, you probably have a bad snubber.Look for white shavings at the bottom of the washer, this will confirm a bad snubber.If you see a lot of oil at the bottom you have a bad tranny seal, probably new tranny time. A little oil is normal.
To replace this, download the service manual located at (www.appliancejunk.com/forums) Click on manuals, then washers.
Follow the procedure shown, you will need to pull the entire tub out with the tranny, turn upside downand brace with pieces of 2x4's. To save strain on the back, you can pry up the tub from the bottom and slide out the front. Use electrical metal boxes to spread the springs when removing, or use 1/8 inch thick pieces of metal, no need to buy the spring spreader tool. You will NOT need to buy the expensive brake release tool. If there is a spin screech when stopping, you will need to replace the brakes also, But be careful, there is a 200 pound tension spring in there.
Buy six 8-32 machine screws 1 1/2 inch long and replace the brake housing screws with these. Loosen these screws, keeping the housing even, until all the tension is off the assembly. When you replace the snubber, clean the housing with alcohol getting all the oil off. Emery paper the housing if necessary, then insert the new snubber and sprinkle corn starch on it. That will keep the wear down. If the base is pitted/worn too bad, you might want to replace it.
With your model washer, you may not need to buy the screws, the existing screws might be long enough. Also, you will NOT need to remove the tranny pulley.
Also, I believe this procedure will work for other models with the large snubber in the housing, correct me if I'm wrong.
Probably a two hour job, good luck.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mr Larry  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:49:48 AM(UTC)
Mr Larry

Groups: Registered

Hi richappy,

I`ve read your instructions for snubber replacement and also downloaded the service manual for the Maytag Performa. If you dont mind, please clarify a few points before I tackle this project.

"Follow the procedure shown, you will need to pull the entire tub out with the tranny, turn upside downand brace with pieces of 2x4's. To save strain on the back, you can pry up the tub from the bottom and slide out the front."

What am I turning upside down? the entire washing machine? I understand the snap ring and pully need to be removed so the shaft is free from the base. Where are the 2x4`s used??

"Use electrical metal boxes to spread the springs when removing, or use 1/8 inch thick pieces of metal, no need to buy the spring spreader tool. You will NOT need to buy the expensive brake release tool. If there is a spin screech when stopping, you will need to replace the brakes also, But be careful, there is a 200 pound tension spring in there.
Buy six 8-32 machine screws 1 1/2 inch long and replace the brake housing screws with these. Loosen these screws, keeping the housing even, until all the tension is off the assembly."

I understand these instructions, but just to be sure.....once the spring tension is released from the brake, and the suspension housing is free of the stator, the snubber is accessable for replacement?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Mr Larry
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:08:13 PM(UTC)
richappy

Once you remove the four springs, the tranny and tub assembly are free to either pull out of the top, or pull out the front of the washer. Also you never need to remove the tranny pulley as the snubber is big enough to slip over it.
Also, you may find the housing screws are sufficiently long to facilitate the release of all the tension on the spring.
Mr Larry  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 11:22:00 AM(UTC)
Mr Larry

Thanks to your advice and guidance, I have replaced the Snubber in my Maytag Performa Washer. The Wife and the Machine are a LOT quieter!!:D
bad*dawg  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 11:49:08 AM(UTC)
bad*dawg

Tackled mine today and could not relate the "electrical box" suggestion for removing the springs from the tub / base (mine has six springs). Had very little trouble removing the springs with channel locks. Removed the back plate so I could get at the back springs and discharge hose. Tipped it over on it's side a ways to remove the pulley (keep track of the bunch of washers including thrust washers and a thrust bearing when you take the snap ring off the driveshaft as there are a bunch of them. Springs were a B**** to hook back up. Ended up using vise grips, long screwdriver (as a pry bar) and a six inch log piece of 2 x 4 as a fulcrum. Was a tad surprised as most of my old snubber was intact with just the outer lip worn away but it sure looks like the new snubber did the trick. It is about a two hour job, maybe one hour for the second time around.
UserPostedImage
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:36:23 AM(UTC)
richappy

I used thick washers to expand the springs and as far as I have seen, you do NOT have to remove the pulley to replace the snubber on the Performa.
bad*dawg  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:25:54 PM(UTC)
bad*dawg

Yep I missed the "no need to remove the pulley darn it! Walk the belt off the pulley and out the whole assembly comes. Not having to remove the pulley also eliminates the concern with all of the spacers, thrust washers, and thrust bearing (and greasy fingers). Was impressed with the simplicity of this washer as it had been many moons since I had piddled with one. The new snubber has it working like new again.
UserPostedImage
chrisbanks00  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 8:41:56 AM(UTC)
chrisbanks00

I will be replacing the snubber this weekend due to the Maytag tap dancing during the spin cycle. I will also be replacing the brake due to it squealing once it's done. Do I need to purchase the expensive spring removal tool for the brake or is there a workaround? This will hopefully the only time I will need to do this and this tool is somewhat expensive for only a one time usage.
bad*dawg  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 12:26:53 PM(UTC)
bad*dawg

Mine had six springs and I was able to unhook all of them with channel locks (unhook them from the drum not the base)....Getting them hooked up again was nasty. Had to use vise grips on the spring and about a six inch piece of 2x4 and a long screwdriver kinda like a pry bar.

Good luck..you will be happy with the results!
chrisbanks00  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 12:32:43 PM(UTC)
chrisbanks00

...and this was for the 200lbs brake spring I keep hearing about?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply