Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Geo2199  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:14:19 PM(UTC)
Geo2199

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a whirlpool top loading washer machine model# LST233DQ0 and it no longer spins or agitates. It still fills and drains fine. I took it out and tipped it over to look at it and it had a pile of black chewed up rubber under it. In between the motor and the bottom of the agitator is something that spins with rubber around it and the rubber piece is now broke in half and its difficult to spin.
Is that the belt or clutch?
and if its the belt is that only thing I have to replace or is there more damage that has occured?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Geo2199  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:44:55 PM(UTC)
Geo2199

I looked at a video online and its the part in between the motor and transmission. I am pretty sure its a direct drive system with a rubber coupling. The reason I say this is because on both sides of the rubber piece there are two white plastic pieces with 3 tips on them, 1 on the motor and 1 on the transmission on both sides of the rubber piece that is broken. The two white pieces no longer lined up and don't spin together. So all I have to do is replace the rubber coupling? and if the rubber coupling broke is there something else that can be causing this that I should replace also?
dnlow  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 7:41:47 AM(UTC)
dnlow

Yes seems like the motor coupler is your problem. The part is about $15, give or take where you buy it. It will come with both white pieces and the rubber piece. The rubber piece could be all that is bad, you will not know until you have everything apart, but I would replace all three parts since the newer version comes with reinforced plastic pieces. I am thinking that one of the plastic pieces is broken also. This is a fairly easy fix so you should have no problems.
Geo2199  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 9:32:51 AM(UTC)
Geo2199

Originally Posted by: dnlow Go to Quoted Post
Yes seems like the motor coupler is your problem. The part is about $15, give or take where you buy it. It will come with both white pieces and the rubber piece. The rubber piece could be all that is bad, you will not know until you have everything apart, but I would replace all three parts since the newer version comes with reinforced plastic pieces. I am thinking that one of the plastic pieces is broken also. This is a fairly easy fix so you should have no problems.

I purchased an upgraded version with a metal piece instead of the rubber one. Its from Whirpool so I'm guessing there aware of the rubber piece failing.
Geo2199  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 1:26:31 PM(UTC)
Geo2199

I installed the new part and now the engine and transmission sits about a half inch to far apart. The old part installed sits all the way down on both the engine and transmission shaft but the new one doesn't. Upon looking at the new plastic part it has a little ridge on two sides of the metal inside preventing it from going all the way down. I tried swapping the plastic pieces on opposite sides and they are still doing the same thing. I tapped it to get it down with my socket and rubber mallet but I didn't wanna hit it to hard and break it.

Should I beat on it to get it down?

I have it installed and the washer machine spins perfectly fine, no weird noises or strange smells. But when you open the door or press the stop button the engine and transmission stop instantly and very violently when it used to spin freely and come to a gentle stop. It stops so hard now the whole washer machine jumps to the right about 2-3ft. I know this is not normal.

And should I be able to turn the motor and transmission freely by hand? Because I could with the old part but not with the new one.